Main Menu

GASKET / SEAL RECOMMENDATIONS? VIDEO TESTING TESTING

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, June 05, 2018, 02:07:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

Aahhhh yes, the things we find when we look up. I've been under my car more times in the last few weeks than in the last 5 years. Wasn't part of my plan for this year, but it's looking like time for new valve cover gaskets. I've never replaced them... but have "snugged" them a time or two. There's a small oil trail down to the tranny... and on the bottom of the pumpkin. Looks like cork in there right now. What's everybody using these days? Also what about seals for the spark plug tubes (426 HEMI). Think I need to replace??  :thinking:   :notsure:

I actually fear doing this... I'm afraid of what I may find. If this was a small block I'd do valve seals. HEMI guys throw me 2 cents please  :please:

Cuda Cody

Hemi tubes seals...

RUNCHARGER

You don't really need the tube seals but they help if you pull the plugs often. The last valvecover gaskets I used were felpro and they were two sides cork with a piece of sheetmetal sandwiched in between. They were expensive but they worked well. I think the idea is for the sheetmetal to keep the cork from sliding out of place. Hemis require you not to overtighten the VC nuts but you certainly want to keep checking them for tightness at regular intervals.
Sheldon

BIGSHCLUNK

@Cuda Cody - nice pics  :bradsthumb:

@RUNCHARGER - I'm guessing FELPRO - 1629??  Best price I could find is rockauto $42.79  not terrible...........

RUNCHARGER

Yup: I think that's them. They seemed to work quite well and I pulled them several times to do valve sets.
Sheldon

BIGSHCLUNK

61K T/A

Are you sure it's not the manifold end gasket leaking?

BIGSHCLUNK

From being underneath so many times I can see the trail. The droplet on the bottom of the bell houseing............ and the bottom of the pumkin. First I thought my rear end was leaking but it's from blow back.   :wrenching:

BIGSHCLUNK

BIGSHCLUNK

So I thought i would do 1 valve cover today, as I'm still waiting on my radiator to come back from Glen-Ray. Get a few other things squared away. NIKKI's has had some oil issues for awhile already... but I always dreaded the thought of doing the job. Just had a "feeling" ....  Things started out normal enuff...   :wrenching:

BIGSHCLUNK

So I start looking a little closer....   :rubeyes:  AM I NOT MISSING SOMETHING???? Now granted I've never had the covers off but..... WTH?  :Thud:

BIGSHCLUNK

And of course the plugs looked great.... 

Brads70

I think it's missing a whole bunch of miles!  :Stirring:   :)

Chryco Psycho

looks like you could lean it out 3-4 jet sizes !!