Main Menu

Battery relocation kit

Started by nsmall, August 04, 2017, 11:22:45 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: dodj on August 12, 2017, 04:59:58 AM
I thought the whole reason for a "box" was to vent any gases (hydrogen) from the charging of the battery to be vented outside the car. Is that not a concern Goody?

:iagree: :popcorn:  That's why I went with the sealed Moroso battery box and vented it thru the floor.  :dunno:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: dodj on August 12, 2017, 04:59:58 AM
I thought the whole reason for a "box" was to vent any gases (hydrogen) from the charging of the battery to be vented outside the car. Is that not a concern Goody?

It's been like that for ten years and haven't seen and side effects from it.  :pokeeye:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

61K T/A

I guess you developed a tolerance or liking to it.  :haha:

61K T/A

My Optima doesn't gas unless it's being over charged.

YellowThumper

Dry cell (ie Optima) batteries are noted to be ok without venting. Mine has been several years and no issues noted. As in seeing any changes in the "patina" inside my trunk surfaces.

2ga wire is too small. The $$$ investment for at minimum 0ga is worth it. Have heard that welding cable is the best option. Again have heard the the many smaller strands actually provide less voltage drop. You can get red welding wire. That is what I used.
Note that voltage drop is due to resistance. Resistance then causes heat...
X2 on soldering the connections. These are your main connections to all the workings of your car. Current is always flowing 1 direction or the other. Weak connections never get better.
If car remains the absolute basic then you may get many years out of it. But any newer upgrades will all require rock steady power to eliminate issues. Electronics do not do well competing for power. This includes many solid grounds to eliminate signal floating.

Start with a solid electrical footprint and you can build anything on top of it without wory. From electric fans to thumping stereo.

Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

RUNCHARGER

Welding cable is what I have used in the past. I agree, you cannot take a chance undersizeing cable.
Sheldon