Main Menu

Brake lights erratic behavior!

Started by Skunkworks Challenger, September 09, 2017, 08:46:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Skunkworks Challenger on September 11, 2017, 06:57:17 PM
I didn't search for OEM, just figured there were none available.  I would be reluctant to install a used one.  That Standard rw7 looks like it would be fine.

I've used aftermarket switches before, I'd much rather put a known good used switch back in service..... Might give Jim Slotts a call.... I know he does them...

Skunkworks Challenger

I've used aftermarket switches before, I'd much rather put a known good used switch back in service..... Might give Jim Slotts a call.... I know he does them...
[/quote]

Yeah a known used one would suffice, I'll add that to my list of possibilities.  My original one was great until that little tab broke off causing me to have to hold it in position.  Just plastic fatigue I guess.

Chryco Psycho

I have used the TW7 on numerous builds , never an issue .
If you use the search & enter the part # & Standard motor parts it will show up , not sure why it is not listed under the car specifically  :thinking:

Skunkworks Challenger

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 12, 2017, 08:14:30 AM
I have used the TW7 on numerous builds , never an issue .
If you use the search & enter the part # & Standard motor parts it will show up , not sure why it is not listed under the car specifically  :thinking:

Thanks for the directions on the website--I had trouble getting it to come up.  PK

Chryco Psycho

Skunkworks Challenger

Thought I should follow up on my erratic brake light problem, hopefully to help someone else if nothing else.  I ordered a replacement turn signal switch (Standard TW7) from Rock Auto as suggested by Neal.  It came complete with wiring harness and all including correct color coding.
The connector fit was really tight but worked after a little smoothing of the edges.  I also had to enlarge the slot for the operating lever and trim the four-way flasher button.  Oddly,I noticed the factory had to trim the original hazard button as well.
Then----I tested and found the turn lights would come on but not flash.  They had been flashing an hour earlier with the old switch but not now.  I had to leave for the day, giving me some time to think about why they didn't flash. After concluding only the flasher unit can make them flash I changed it out and now everything works great .  Thanks to all who responded to my query, it helped me a lot.

Chryco Psycho

:bigthumb:
I am glad you got it solved , I usually narrow the button on the switch rather than open up the column . Either will work