Main Menu

Brighter dash bulbs

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, April 05, 2020, 01:10:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

Quote from: 70vert on April 07, 2020, 06:13:04 PM
I swapped out to LED for all my bulbs, other than headlights (and that is next). Much brighter now, dash, brake lights, side markers, etc.
Would it be too much of an imposition to ask you for the part#'s and suppliers you got them from? They sound like a good idea! Thanks   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70 Challenger Lover

I don't have a picture but thought I'd post the results. I used three led in bright white and they were far superior to the original bulbs. That's exactly what I was looking for. I think I'm going to switch out the tail lights and side markers too. Headlights are a future project. Amazing difference and the bulbs were only $6 for ten, delivered to my door. Cheaper than incandescent.

71383bee

:yes: Glad its working out!  I've been on an LED kick myself.  I have about 75% of the car changed over.  I realize with the turn signal lights you have to pay attention as there is a brighter flash for the blinker side.  IT was a trial and error thing when someone pointed out my front amber was not flashing right. Also a good idea to switch to a digital flasher for the turn signals. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

70 Challenger Lover

Hadn't thought of that. When I get ready for the tail/brake/turn signals, I'll have to see what combos work. It makes sense that dual filament bulbs require a bit of thought. Flashers too.

71383bee

Yep. I just turned it 180 and reinstalled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

70vert

Quote from: jimynick on April 08, 2020, 09:09:01 PM
Quote from: 70vert on April 07, 2020, 06:13:04 PM
I swapped out to LED for all my bulbs, other than headlights (and that is next). Much brighter now, dash, brake lights, side markers, etc.
Would it be too much of an imposition to ask you for the part#'s and suppliers you got them from? They sound like a good idea! Thanks   :cheers:

I got mine from SuperBrightLED.com. They have bulbs listed for the Challenger but still was a bit of trial and error. They are pretty cheap, and have a variety of colors (to put red in rear and yellow in front as well as different white/blue). they dash lights make a big difference!

70Barracuda

Thinking LED also for parking/turn and side marker.  I know the fronts are yellow, backs are white as wella s side marker?
What number bulb are side marker?  #1895?

Thanks
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

Cratos

I see several BA9S bulbs listed on the site what ones work best for the dash lights??

shawge

:alan2cents: you might want to go with using LEDs the same color as the lenses, otherwise the resulting color might be off.  Ex: white LED + red lens gives a pinkish color, not red.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Huskidrive

I used white led's. I'm happy with the color and brightness. They dim just like the incandescents.

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!

Poolshark314

Just finished mine. The bulbs I got were kinda bulky with the plastic frames so they were a pretty snug fit into the light bar
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

chaps70rt

Did anyone have any trouble fitting the LED for the ignition key light?   Which colour did you use for that one?
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

72RoadRunnerGTX

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on April 07, 2020, 06:49:05 AM
Here you go !

If running a factory ammeter, never add any loads to the starter relay or battery terminal, all loads need to go on the alternator side of the ammeter. For simple headlight relays, go to the alternator output stud.

Cudajason

Quote from: shawge on April 14, 2021, 11:01:58 AM
:alan2cents: you might want to go with using LEDs the same color as the lenses, otherwise the resulting color might be off.  Ex: white LED + red lens gives a pinkish color, not red.

Thanks for this tip. 

I just got new red LED bulbs for my tail lights. Wow what a difference.  it may be the type of bulb as much as the colour, but wow!!!

Some before and after pics

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

70vert

@Cudajason
That is super bright, way better than the LED I used for my Challenger. I think it is the bulb type, definitely different. Can you give us the details on # and source?