Main Menu

Can I repair this?

Started by BIGSHCLUNK, July 23, 2021, 08:04:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BIGSHCLUNK

Ok , sorry no pic - but most of you know what this looks like. I'm talking about the side marker light housing w the wiring. My left front has an issue (break?) somewhere where the wiring is attached to the socket. It's not the connector but where the wiring joins the socket for the lamp. If I hold or push it just right the lamp will light. But in normal driving the lamp is out. No this is not a bulb issue. Anyone successfully take one apart / repair/reassemble?? If you did please teach ol' BIGS how!

Or is this just a buy a new one? I see the assembly for sale ( Roseville, ect) but I dont need the lens and all, just the housing w the wiring. I'd even take a good "preowned" ....  :wrenching:

gzig5

I've repaired something similar in the past.  A solenoid that controls cam advance.  Wire broke inside the potting.  I dug in and was able to tack a lead onto the remnant of the winding.  Might work if that is your problem.  Could be a solder or crimp issue on the contact?  I like fixing stuff but would probably just buy the stuff from Roseville and flip the parts you don't use.

Mr Lee

:popcorn:

I wonder if it has something to do with that spring in the bottom of the bulb socket...  maybe seizing up from rust?  Does the bulb feel snug in there?
I'm actually having a similar issue with the same side marker.  My bulb for whatever reason will not stay in there tight .   I've messed around with it (as well as a spare used one I just picked up at Carlisle) and it is proving to be something that "shouldn't be this hard to figure out" ... but i can't seem to fix it...  yet 
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Mr Lee

Quote from: Bullitt- on July 23, 2021, 10:04:11 AM
  new pigtails perhaps? https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/product/park-lamp-pig-tail-set-70-71-challenger/

yeah that may be the way to go.  Looks like they are sold by the pair, hmmm.
Gonna try to fix mine one more time.... if it doesn't work... 

@BIGSHCLUNK    I wonder if it would be cost effective to split the pair.  I take one and you take one.

Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

JS29

Contact Mike Ross @ BE&A He has a tool to crimp the sockets into the housing.  :alan2cents:

BIGSHCLUNK

Wade - The one listed from ROSEVILLE... are for the rear.... I.m 99% sure of that because rears pop in thru the housing. And have those types of tangs on the socket end.

Bullitt-

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on July 23, 2021, 12:03:08 PM
Wade - The one listed from ROSEVILLE... are for the rear.... I.m 99% sure of that because rears pop in thru the housing. And have those types of tangs on the socket end.

You may be correct Chris but the fine print on the add says "forward lamp"
Might be worth asking about

Side Marker Lamp Pig Tail set 70-71 Challenger
$30.00

SKU: 445-215W
CATEGORIES: E - BODY LAMPS - LENS, FORWARD LAMP HARNESS

1970-71 Dodge Challenger Front Side Marker Pig Tail
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

BIGSHCLUNK

Unless the replacements are re-designed to work like the rears?  :notsure:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JS29 on July 23, 2021, 11:35:38 AM
Contact Mike Ross @ BE&A He has a tool to crimp the sockets into the housing.  :alan2cents:

This is the correct answer... Call Mike....