Main Menu

Roof repair

Started by Shoooter, April 20, 2020, 06:14:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Shoooter

I came across a 1970 Challenger project and has some issues. Before I make a run at becoming the new owner I had a question. At some point in the car's life somebody has cut a sunroof into the car. They did not move or cut the structural. Does this require a full reskin of the roof or could it be patched. I have a friend that is replacing his roof sew a patch would be available.

70 Challenger Lover

It will be so much easier to do the entire roof skin. While the old one is off, you can clean the underside of the bracing too and treat it so it never rusts again. You never be able to access the bracing otherwise. They seem like a huge job but I did one for the first time last year and it was kind of fun. Came out perfect.

RUNCHARGER

If I was going to try it, I would flange and panelbond the patch in, Allmetal the seam smooth and run a vinyl roof. You get a lot of heat on the roof and chances are in the sunlight you will see a halo outline on where it was filled. JMO.
Sheldon

anlauto

I think your expectations of the final product should dictate the method of repair. Yes, it can be patched, but a better quality fix would be to replace the entire skin. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

7E-Bodies

Full skin. Only way to go and in the long run, easier.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Shoooter

I was thinking it needed a full skin. I'll keep that in mind if I decided to try and purchase it

JS29

Another vote for full skin!  :alan2cents:

jeff968

I also vote full skin. Not a bad job, I've done it twice, just be prepared to drill many spotwelds.

JS29

Quote from: jeff968 on April 20, 2020, 11:46:47 AM
I also vote full skin. Not a bad job, I've done it twice, just be prepared to drill many spotwelds.
:iagree: :yes:

70 Challenger Lover

For what it is worth, the skin I used last time was not AMD. It was a less expensive off brand. It fit fantastic and looked great afterward. It took like 30-60 minutes to fit it in. I know everyone says the metal is not as thick but is was every bit as thick as the original. I only say this as a way of offsetting the freight charge by going with a less expensive brand.

JS29

@70challengerLover What brand did you end up using?  :-X

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: JS29 on April 20, 2020, 01:07:21 PM
@70challengerLover What brand did you end up using?  :-X

I think it was a Goodmark but I can't recall anymore. Might have been an even lesser brand but I never got a receipt. Some local shop ordered a Challenger one instead of a Cuda one. They put it on Craigslist so I was able to inspect it before buying. Got a smoking deal and avoided tax and freight. I've been looking for another one for my newest project and the best deal I can find to my door will be close to $500. Maybe a touch less if find a sale. Honestly, I'd pay extra just to know it is packed nicely and shipped properly. It would be easy to twist one and you'd play hell getting it to fit well, look good, not oil can later. Trying to return it would suck.

JS29

@70challengerLover You got lucky on that one!  :bravo: Year one sends 30% discount codes to me. If you like i can hook you up with one when you are ready and they send one to me.  :cheers:

soundcontrol

I got both (older) Goodmark and AMD quarter skins, the Goodmarks feels thicker...not 100% sure since they are not in the same place, but one day I'm gonna measure the thickness.

Patching a sunroof hole would be very difficult...

70 Challenger Lover

Look at all that corrosion I could never have fully cleaned out without removing the skin. My current car has a decent rook but there is so much corrosion everywhere that I feel compelled to remove the skin and clean everything out for a lasting restoration.

@JS29    I'll have to look up a skin on year one and see what they charge. I know on some year one stuff, the deep discount codes don't generally apply to big ticket items like this.