Main Menu

Cleaning up the firewall & Harness replacement

Started by Zshowket, May 16, 2022, 11:22:13 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Zshowket

Hi all, I have searched hi and low and read a lot but I am still no 100% confident on a couple of things.  I have a 1970 Challenger 440.  Will be converting to MSD ignition and I get the wiring for that and removal of the Ballast resistor and start/ run wiring.  I will also be ordering a new engine harness.

I would also like to be able to remove the voltage regulator and install an internally regulated alternator.  I don't need some monster amp thing, my music is the engine.  So, if I install and internally regulated alternator, how do treat the current regulator wiring?  Do I need to run a new dedicated charge wire?  Is there an alternator you would advise to keep the connections simple and clean?

I have also read about changing the wiring at the amp meter on the rally dash?  Whats up with that?

Thanks for the advise oh great Moparians....

Bullitt-

Bypassing the ammeter can be as simple as removing the two wires from the studs & connecting them together. Another problem is at the bulkhead connector
Some discussion here as to the necessity of this.https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/standard-gauge-cluster-ammeter-to-volt-meter-conversion-video/21142/
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

moparroy

Yea for me the issue is more around the connectors - the bulk head and the engine harness connectors. Charging current for a depleted battery can cause serious issues there. I put in a higher wire size parallel bypass wire and left the original circuit in place. Ammeter will be inaccurate for sure - may even be useless but I am hoping it will show a minor deflection + or - still as it may still carry a proportion of the current

Zshowket

I bought a new engine harness and opened it up and removed all the alternator wires from the harness accept for the charge wire from the alternator (large black one) This one I pulled from the loom and I am running it to the starter relay. This way the car gets 2 feed wires, bypassing the amp meter makes everything safer so you dont risk running your full alternator current into the dash before it is sent to the battery. The internally regulated alternator I am running a charge wire to the starter relay as well.

I am installing an MSD distributor, coil, 6AL box, and a tach adapter along with Atomic fuel injection in my 1970 440.

Am i missing anything?