Main Menu

Correct Antenna Base?

Started by mtull, January 09, 2024, 02:23:43 PM

Previous topic Next topic

mtull

I'm trying to identify the correct antenna base for a 1970 E-Body optioned with an R11 AM Radio.  According to other forum posts the 1970-'71 cars came with a telescopic antennae.  Research suggests the antenna base should have a casting number: 2889920-95660 and under that should be: WARD-7282.  My confusion is with the digit and letter following 'WARD-7282'.  I've seen 1, 1C, 2 and 2C. The cable between the base and radio should have a stencil: W - 15 - 519 and a 90 degree bend where it enters the radio. 

MMC Detroit books cover some of this information however I'm still not clear on what casting number I need and what the cable length should be.  Do the last two characters have something to do with the length of the antenna mast threads and cable?  The antenna base/wire in the attached images supposedly came from a 1970 Cuda.

Any education greatly appreciated.
Thank you

VCODE

Your base looks correct you just need to change the mast out.
the 90% radio end is an e body thing only. so its for an E body
Bob

mtull

Quote from: VCODE on January 09, 2024, 02:30:49 PMYour base looks correct

Thank you for your input @VCODE.  My concern is the 1972 ~ 74 E-Body's also have a similar looking base but may require a different style antenna?  To be more specific, a few internet sources state the part number for the 1972~74 E-Body's is 3501334.  Assuming that's true, how does that affect the casting number: WARD-7282 (1, 1C, 2, 2C)?  Or can you use either fixed or telescoping antenna regardless of the base? Does AM/FM change any of the variables?  And then there's the struggle between 'what works' vs. 'what's technically factory correct'.

I attached another pic of an NOS antenna, part number 3501334 presumably used on 1972~74 cars.  It looks the same to me as the other attached pics however I can't see the length of the cable nor the depth of the antenna mast threads.

Thank you
M.

VCODE

All I can do at this point is measure my antenna for you later

length 65 inches
on cable W-15-519
base # 2889920 -95660
Ward 7282 - 1

Hope this helps
Bob

mtull

RUNCHARGER

70-71 mast is 3 piece. Later mast is 1 piece non telescopic. I think the bases are interchangeable.
Sheldon

mtull

Thank you @VCODE for helping determine the correct antenna base.  I finally found a nice original antenna base and related hardware.  I was excited to finally have all the parts needed to install the antenna and then, crushing disappointment.

The passenger fender was the only piece of sheet metal previously replaced by an earlier owner and I hadn't noticed the antenna hole was only 1" diameter.  I'm guessing dealership or owner modification? 
I tried to get help from Google with limited success.  I did find a few posts suggesting the hole diameter is: 1 11/32.  The "center of hole is 6-3/8" from hood edge of fender and 8-3/8" along top body line"

1970 Challenger antenna location
Antenna Questions

If the location suggested in forum posts is correct, the hole was also drilled in the wrong spot :Thud: Luckily the car still needs restoration and I'm not trying to install the antenna for the first time on finished paint.

Does anyone have pic they could post of a factory antenna hole?  The forum posts I found discuss two 3/16 pilot holes but I'm not sure if that is what the factory did or if it was for some other reason?

Any help appreciated.
M.

VCODE

Quote from: mtull on April 02, 2024, 10:50:19 AMThank you @VCODE for helping determine the correct antenna base.  I finally found a nice original antenna base and related hardware.  I was excited to finally have all the parts needed to install the antenna and then, crushing disappointment.

The passenger fender was the only piece of sheet metal previously replaced by an earlier owner and I hadn't noticed the antenna hole was only 1" diameter.  I'm guessing dealership or owner modification? 
I tried to get help from Google with limited success.  I did find a few posts suggesting the hole diameter is: 1 11/32.  The "center of hole is 6-3/8" from hood edge of fender and 8-3/8" along top body line"

1970 Challenger antenna location
Antenna Questions

If the location suggested in forum posts is correct, the hole was also drilled in the wrong spot :Thud: Luckily the car still needs restoration and I'm not trying to install the antenna for the first time on finished paint.

Does anyone have pic they could post of a factory antenna hole?  The forum posts I found discuss two 3/16 pilot holes but I'm not sure if that is what the factory did or if it was for some other reason?

Any help appreciated.
M.

my TA at shop can't measure at this time

mtull

Quote from: VCODE on April 02, 2024, 10:58:15 AMmy TA at shop can't measure at this time

Thank you, no worries,  I don't have a TA or AAR but did see a post suggesting the holes are the same, just in a different location?

mtull

Thank you @Cuda Cody for posting Cuda radio antenna hole back in 2020.  Do you recall how far off from the center line the 3/16 holes were drilled?  What was their original purpose?  Were they used to assist with cutting the hole or related to helping place the antenna bezel correctly?

71vert340

Here's a photo of the antenna hole on an original 1970 fender (no notch a front) that I've had stored for over 40 years. Maybe this helps. I tried an antenna bezel in the hole and it is a very good (snug) fit.

Terry W.

mtull

Quote from: 71vert340 on April 26, 2024, 08:40:16 AMI tried an antenna bezel in the hole and it is a very good (snug) fit.

Thank you Terry.  It looks like the center-to-center measurement of the 3/16 holes is roughly 1 7/16, maybe 1/32 more. Much appreciated!