Main Menu

Correct bolts for mounting voltage regulator and ballast resistor

Started by mtull, October 17, 2023, 11:59:55 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mtull

I'm trying to find correct / original style bolts used for mounting the voltage regulator and ballast resistor to the firewall.  The examples offered by most restoration suppliers don't appear to have the correct head markings as defined by the MMC Detroit fasteners guide. 

I've attached pics of one of my original bolts (sad shape) and another pic showing what the head marking should look like.

Any help appreciated.

440ehigh

I haven't seen any originals with the head stamp like you have I know Bill Rolik was selling some sets of the AF head stamp which is in the MMC book for voltage regulator.

mtull

Thank you 440ehigh.  I saw Bill's AF version for sale a few months back and did give some thought to buying them. 

Regarding the pic in the MMC books,  if it's the same pic I saw, there three different possible head markings, my version, the version you mentioned and another version with an 'N' stamped on the head.

jt4406

These are the original (replated) bolts from my LA built May 70 Challenger. I believe they are correct.  Just my .02    jess in ky
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

mtull

Thank you Jess for posting those pics. 

Those are the exact bolts I'm looking for.  Hopefully someone has a set for sale at some point.  I doubt there reproduced with those head markings.

198D13

There are at least five different, correct head markings used in 1970 on E Bodies.  You would need five of the same to use for all the necessary spots under the hood. I will look and see if I have an extra set or the "target" head ones that you specifically are looking for.

mtull

Thank you 198D13.

I was able buy two of the "target" head versions in good shape, just need three more but willing to buy more or less if you have any.

Thank you so much!
M.

EV2RTSE

This is what you get with the AMD underhood hardware kit, the anchor.  Unfortunately they only give you 3.  @198D13 Just wondering if the anchor is one of the five correct ones? I know this marking appears on many other fasteners on these cars.

mtull

The MMC Detroit fastener manual lists three (I'm not trying to indicate there aren't more).  Pic attached 

fc7cuda

Quote from: mtull on December 21, 2023, 05:58:15 PMThe MMC Detroit fastener manual lists three (I'm not trying to indicate there aren't more).  Pic attached 

[/quote
Quote from: mtull on December 21, 2023, 05:58:15 PMThe MMC Detroit fastener manual lists three (I'm not trying to indicate there aren't more).  Pic attached 

From the E body fastener manual?

mtull

Hey @fc7cuda,

Did the MMC Detroit link not work or did my incorrect reference to the title cause confusion?  My apologies.  I'll try again ...

E Body (Challenger and Barracuda) 1970-74 Manual. Guide to Fasteners, Hardware and General Assembly (ERMX)

fc7cuda

@mtull
Sure, you link worked fine.  I was referring to this manual, but I don't see it on their website any longer.  It only lists 3 bolts for this application and none are the AF bolts.  This manual may be outdated but you'd think the info would still be relevant since we're referring to what was done in the past.  also one should note the year and plant too since suppliers could have been based on location convenience too.

mtull

Quote from: fc7cuda on December 22, 2023, 06:07:37 AMI was referring to this manual, but I don't see it on their website any longer.  It only lists 3 bolts for this application and none are the AF bolts.  This manual may be outdated but you'd think the info would still be relevant since we're referring to what was done in the past.  also one should note the year and plant too since suppliers could have been based on location convenience too.

Now I understand what you were getting at.  I guess they changed the name of the manual.  Mine is version 12 and is about two years old.  What versions of the head markings does your manual show? 

Thank you for reminding me about the year and plant.  All the little historic details excite me but I'm realizing more and more my brain is like a steal trap ... once somethings go in, it never comes back out.

Jay Bee

@mtull  I found only one in my stuff, not the nicest. It's 1/4 x 20, any interest in it?

Jay Bee

Keep an eye out for this  :rubeyes: . Before the forum jokes start  :haha:  , the addresses weren't typed with invisible ink  :crazytalk: , just edited for public posting  :bigthumb: .