Main Menu

Diagnosing charging system health '70 Barracuda EFI

Started by Mopsquad, June 14, 2019, 11:12:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

Quote from: Mopsquad on June 16, 2019, 11:00:30 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 15, 2019, 08:05:46 PM
You have already proven there is more load than the alt can handle at idle so if you get caught in traffic you can run the battery dead & fairly quickly too as you have proven  , so My belief is you need to upgrade the alternator output to keep up with the load wether you modify the stock alt as Wild suggests or change to a high output one you will have to do it  , I have run into this a few times now with modern upgrades !
  You absolutely still need the bypass especially if the alt can produce more than 60 amps as the ammeter gauge cannot handle more than 60 amps & the connections through the bulkhead do not like 60 amps either .

I can see a new alternator in my future. I'm curious about this bypass test with 8ga wire. Can I just temporarily connect the 8ga wire from alt stud to battery to test voltage?  I had to read up on what a fuseable link was - didn't know. For this test, can I not use a link?

If "stealth" is not an issue for you, you could use an inline mega fuse. They 100, 150, 175, etc. Amp ones. That is what I have used.
As for test without one. I cannot recommend you to but will say they are for the what if scenario. You are adding significant improvement on capacity with out currently improving output.  So....
I have tested without.

Mike.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

You have full battery power at both ends of the bypass so I am not sure why a fuse is needed , if it shorted both ends would supply power

Mopsquad

Thx everyone!  I've learned quite a bit just from this thread.

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

7212Mopar

Great info. I think I am looking at the same problem with the EFI, MSD 6AL added to the car. I got good voltage 14.3 v at the alternator but dropped a volt at the battery. May be the battery is old?

Please post update when you are done.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Chryco Psycho

Check the bulkhead connections or install a bypass wire from the alt to start relay

7212Mopar

I already done the amp meter bypass. 130 amps alternator and 6 gauge bypass wire with fuse should arrive tomorrow. All bulkhead electrical connectors were cleaned, inspected and added dielectric grease. I was wondering if my battery was dying from old age until I read this thread. This all started after installing the EFI and MSD systems. 
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Chryco Psycho

Mopsquad

Hi everyone, Changed the alternator and now reading a healthy 14.5V or so.  Using the Quality Power 150A.  Took some mods to clear the hemi's head, but made it work.

Chryco Psycho