Main Menu

EFI Wiring - Brown Ignition wire ... Crank Power??

Started by chaps70rt, April 25, 2021, 10:17:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chaps70rt

I am just completing my Holley Sniper EFI Conversion complete with a 1-wire updated alternator and HyperSpark ignition and Sniper Coil.

I have an unusual situation occurring.   When the ignition is in the "On" position the EFI screen is alive, but when cranking it goes off during
cranking.   The wiring is all stock with the exception of a conversion to electronic ignition a few years back and the Ignition Wired past the resistor.   When reviewing the colour wiring charts for 1970, I see that the Blue and Brown wire goes into the Ignition Resistor together.  This is where I am picking up power for the EFI.    From previous other posts I am led to believe that this connection should be hot during "On and Crank".  I am losing power during cranking, then it resumes once started.   If I bypass the connection at Blue and Brown and go direct to the battery, the screen stays on for both.

Can anyone identify if the brown wire is supposed to provide power during crank or is it the blue?   

I have a suspicion that the one of these wires may have been cut during the electronic ignition install, but don't want to un-tape everything if I can identify the wire that is supposed to be live during cranking.    Alternatively, could this be caused by losing a ground when removing the stock alternator and coil?   I now have a 1-wire alternator (PowerMaster),   The original coil wiring and alternator wiring is no longer connected.   Do you guys recommend removing or do I need to re-connect one of these or just tape off the ends to prevent a short?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

72RoadRunnerGTX

Yes, the brown wire has power when cranking only (ballast resistor by-pass), the blue wire has power with ignition on only, goes dead when cranking, connect there two wires together for aftermarket systems requiring ign sense while both cranking and running.

chaps70rt

Thanks 72RoadRunnerGTX ..... that is what I was suspecting/guessing.   Just needed to hear from others that have done a similar set up.

As for the other wiring, if anyone has eliminated any of the wiring for the new set up, please let me know as I would like to
clean it up where possible.   

Cheers !!!
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi