Main Menu

Electrical Connectors and tape

Started by tparker, February 01, 2021, 09:58:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

Does any one have a source for getting connector plastic covers? Most of mine are ok, but I need at least one. It is for the A/C wire. Also are the Spades easy to get out? I've seen some videos for other connectors where they come out with a tool that unlocks a clip. Any thoughts on how to remove them without damaging?

Also, what are people doing for the electrical wraps. My car has both cloth wraps and what looks like black electrical tape. Was the black tape original or was it all the cloth type wrap. Where would I buy it if I wanted to use it?

Thanks

71383bee

You can try Bill Evans from Evans Wiring.  http://www.evanswiring.com/

They make all harnesses except the dash harness for our cars.  Very small operation but great to work with.  They sell individual pieces and can custom their harnesses if you need it. 

You can also try M&H harnesses who sell in year one and other sites.  Used their harnesses too with no difficulty.  IF you call evans though you'll get Bill on the phone and all it takes is a short conversation to understand that he's a pretty standup guy helping the industry with a much needed product and their stuff is great quality. 

The wires pop out of the connector very easily with just a small flat screw driver from the bulkhead side.  There is a tang that is like a spring that catches after you push the wire into the connector. 

Depending on the year, the AC harness has one or two wires that plug into blank slots 3 & 4 on the neutral safety/transmission harness connector.  if you get a replacement harness you just push them into the respective slot and they will click and grab.   

I wouldn't mess with splicing in old harnesses.  I believe the trans harness is $30 and the A/C is something around there as well. My 2 cents is to just get new ones. It is money well spent. 

I just got all the front wiring for the newer convert we purchased.  It's cheaper than an electrical fire in your engine bay! 

Hope this helps!
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Dakota

Quote from: tparker on February 01, 2021, 09:58:15 AM
Also are the Spades easy to get out? I've seen some videos for other connectors where they come out with a tool that unlocks a clip. Any thoughts on how to remove them without damaging?

The best tool I've found for removing the connectors is one of the small flat blade "eyeglass repair" screwdrivers. 

For male spade connectors you have to compress the hook side of the connector, about where the arrow is shown below, then gently pull on the wire. It'll either come out easy or it won't come out.

For the female spades, you have insert a small screwdriver on the top of the connector from the end opposite where the wire comes out in order to compress the little metal tab I'm the center of the circle  shown below.  Once you think the tab is compressed, give the wire a gentle pull. 

If you only need one male connector, let me know.  I think I have an extra in a parts box.  If you need more than 1, it's probably best to contact Bill Evans.  I believe they are called "Packard connectors". 

MoparLeo

moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

tparker

@71383bee  Thanks, I'll keep Bill's info handy as I may need some wiring stuff as I discover more issues once I start driving it.

@Dakota Cool pic. That helps a lot. I was aware of the the female clip but I thought the male was different. I probably would have destroyed a connector trying to figure it out.

Thanks Guys!

anlauto

I found this kit from American Autowire handy to have around the shop  :alan2cents:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aww-510643
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

What looks like black electrical tape is actually called harness wrap. Any decent restorastion house should have it. It does not have glue on it, you tie the end of it to secure it, if you use tape and have to go in after you'll want to wipe everything down with lacquer thinner first or you'll have that glue over your hands and probably on every tool you own (well not really but it's a bit messy).
Sheldon

Topcat

Quote from: tparker on February 01, 2021, 09:58:15 AM
Does any one have a source for getting connector plastic covers? Most of mine are ok, but I need at least one. It is for the A/C wire.

Thanks

The Red Butt connector harness?
I have it.

tparker

@Topcat I will have to look. I don't need the whole harness, just the end connector with the plastic part. I'm not putting A/C in right away, so it isn't critical.