Main Menu

Engine harness question

Started by fireguyfire, March 19, 2020, 03:07:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

My 1973 challenger has a 1970 383 in it, which is great.
Just putting the engine bay back together after painting it.
My question is regarding the engine wiring harness that connects into the main engine bay harness at the rear of the engine, and runs along the passenger side top of the engine to the front and goes to the distributor, alternator, temp sensor, washer pump, etc.
My existing harness has been recently badly butchered with splices and crimp fittings, etc, mostly to service an early electronic coil that is a rectangular yellow box that someone mounted to the inner fender back in the day.
I am going back to a stock type cool on top of the engine.

Obviously I'm going to need a replacement harness and I'm stumped as to wether I need a harness from an earlier car that was a 383 car, or can I use a 73 challenger harness?
And if I do need to use an earlier harness, will it be compatible and plug into the main engine bay harness?

Bullitt-

These folks make what your asking for, I imagine it connects through the dual style ballast  resistor on the firewall if using the OE electronic ignition. You would need to let them know you need for a big block.   
http://www.evanswiring.com/catalog.htm
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

I think you will have to modify a 73 harness for your 383. The earlier harnesses have different wires in the engine harness for horns etc...

Curious....anybody know if a 1973 big block B Body harness would fit in an 1973 E Body ? That would be just the ticket...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fireguyfire

The modifications were made to accommodate this old school piece!

Chryco Psycho

I know one of the companies was creating wiring harnesses exactly for this situation so they would have the right pinning for 73 but still have the correct wires for the big block , I would contact Year One / MH or Evans wiring , I know someone has it  :alan2cents:

JS29

anlauto

I'm pretty sure Bill Evans will make whatever conversion harness you need. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration