Main Menu

engine wire harness

Started by rossifumi21, April 18, 2022, 11:59:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rossifumi21

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what the grey wire is used for?  I bought a new harness , the old harness was out of the car.  But I have no idea where I have to connect it and I can't find it on the
wiring diagram.  There was only a short red wire on the alternator (see photo) but I guess this is not correct.

Mrbill426

Windshield washer pump maybe?

shawge

What year?  I see gray w/ tracer is tachometer for the 70. Also see gray for the oil pressure switch but I believe the connector is different.

Does your tach wire go through a grommet or through the bulkhead plug?

Edit: added more
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Mrbill426

Maybe; except that wire exits the loom with the alternator wires which is a long way from the coil.  The washer pump is close to the alternator.  If my car were here I would look and verify, but it's not.

Quote from: rossifumi21 on April 18, 2022, 11:59:26 AM
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what the grey wire is used for?  I bought a new harness , the old harness was out of the car.  But I have no idea where I have to connect it and I can't find it on the
wiring diagram.  There was only a short red wire on the alternator (see photo) but I guess this is not correct.

Jay Bee

rossifumi21

shawge

For 74, see two gray wires going to the bulkhead for tach and oil switch.  Washer pump is brown.  :alan2cents:

We can narrow it down if you can tell where on the bulkhead connector each gray wire goes to and what color wires are next to them.  IIRC, the oil switch is just a small slip clip and does not have the plastic housing.

Where it is coming out of the loom would be good for a stock BB coil location. If it does turn out to be for the tach, can add a bit of wire to make up the difference to the SB coil location or unwrap/rewrap the loom after positioning the wire to where you want it.

Is it a YO harness?
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

rossifumi21

Bought it at Classic Industries.  Took the photo's this afternoon.  It's almost midnight here in Belgium, so it's a bit late to take a look now. We don't have the car here at home but in a garage elsewhere.

Bullitt-

Looks more Brown in the picture.. Based on location & connector type it's probably for the washer pump.. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Mrbill426

Must have figured it out I guess :bigthumb:  :dunno:

Quote from: Bullitt- on April 18, 2022, 03:24:01 PM
Looks more Brown in the picture.. Based on location & connector type it's probably for the washer pump..