Main Menu

Engine temp gauge

Started by fireguyfire, June 10, 2019, 10:36:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

Did the first shakedown of my 73 challenger today after doing a ton of work on it; things are working great with 1 exception; my engine temp gauge is not working.
I did pull out and refresh the gauge cluster and the connection on the rear of the temp gauge is good.
Can anyone help me out with troubleshooting the engine temp gauge system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuda Cody

If you are sure the gauge is good, you might check to see what temp sender you are using.  I've seen used different temp senders and I notice not all of them work the same with the stock set up.  Some use different amps and will not function right.

JS29

@fireguyfire  disconnect the wire at the sending unit, ground the wire and turn the key to the on position. if the needle pegs out, it is your sending unit.   :alan2cents: 

73_Cuda_4_Me

Do you have a volt-ohm meter?

If you only have a test light, unplug the temperature wire going to the sensor on the intake manifold, and test the wire with test light to see if you have voltage coming out to the sensor. If you do, then it might be bad sensor or the sealant used on the threads keeping the sensor from going to ground in the intake.

If you have ohm-meter, should be able to read like 2 to 10 ohms (I think??) from the post on sensor to engine ground, depending on temperature...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

anlauto

Yup...test the gauge first by grounding the wire...if it works, then it's a faulty sender :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

fireguyfire

So I disconnected the wire at the sending unit and with the key on I grounded the wire; no change on the gauge.
I then used a test light on the end of the wire with the key on, and I have no power according to the test bulb.
So I'm guessing this means my gauge is pooched; is there anything else it could be before I go about sourcing a new gauge?

fireguyfire

Checked the wiring harness where it was shielded, and it turns out the wire was broken!
A quick splice with some less brittle wire and the gauge is working perfectly.

Bullitt-

:woohoo: Yay Team
Usually something simple  :bigthumb:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

73_Cuda_4_Me

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Chryco Psycho

Cool that you traced out & found the break in the wire  :bigthumb: