Main Menu

Installing aftermarket temp gauge

Started by Spikedog08, January 12, 2023, 08:20:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

Looking to install an after market temp gauge but there is no where for the sensor at the water pump.  With the electric fans and the stock temp gauge taking up space, where can you put it?  Would like the stock one in the dash to work as well.  Thoughts?
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Filthy Filbert

use the drains in the side of the block

dodj

Could it be epoxied to an appropriate area?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

7212Mopar

I got an inline adapter from summit inserted to the upper radiator hose for mounting the temp sensor. This will not work if your car needs to stay stock looking.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Brads70

Aluminum rad? When I was chasing a heating issue I welded a bung on the tank of the rad so I could see if the rad was cooler than the block and/or when the thermostat was opening. . I ran 2 temp gauges. Still have it years later works great.  :alan2cents:

GrandpaKevin

Spikedog08

Quote from: Brads70 on January 12, 2023, 01:38:59 PM
Aluminum rad? When I was chasing a heating issue I welded a bung on the tank of the rad so I could see if the rad was cooler than the block and/or when the thermostat was opening. . I ran 2 temp gauges. Still have it years later works great.  :alan2cents:

Brad. . . You have way more talent than I have.  Sounds like a great idea but I cannot weld aluminum .. or anything else for that matter. 

Brads70

Quote from: Spikedog08 on January 12, 2023, 05:36:46 PM

Brad. . . You have way more talent than I have.  Sounds like a great idea but I cannot weld aluminum .. or anything else for that matter.
Gotta be a shop near you that could do it? Its a 15 minute job?

Spikedog08

Quote from: Brads70 on January 12, 2023, 07:28:00 PM

Actually there is one that I had weld a jet ski hoist for me . Did a great job.  @Brads70 do you have a picture? 

Brads70

Quote from: Spikedog08 on January 13, 2023, 07:40:17 PM
Quote from: Brads70 on January 12, 2023, 07:28:00 PM

Actually there is one that I had weld a jet ski hoist for me . Did a great job.  @Brads70 do you have a picture?

I had to dig in the " archives"  for this one, it's from 2017. This is a double pass rad.
The bung is welded on but not drilled thru yet, I then ran the pipe tap thru it again after welding.
Bottom bung is for a drain .

Spikedog08

You still amaze me with your talents!  Thanks for digging through your pictures!  I wonder if the lead off the temp gauge will be long enough to make it to the rad.  @Brads70   I did get the radiator out today thanks to the help of @Filthy Filbert  . .very helpful.