Main Menu

Replacing LED interior and exterior light bulbs

Started by 72and86, August 14, 2023, 11:47:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

72and86

1970 BS23 'Cuda
Replacing LED interior and exterior light bulbs.
I'd like to replace the interior lights and exterior bulbs but NOT the headlamps.
I would like the turn signals, parking lights and brake lights to be brighter LEDS. Can I replace those with having to replace the flasher? In my C3 Corvettes I had to replace the flasher with a hybrid, in order for the LEDs lights to function properly.

Katfish

70vert

I swapped all my interior and exterior to LED from Super Bright. Not done the headlights yet but want to. I also bought a flasher from them but interestingly it worked without it, and when I did install it the turn signals would not flash so I swapped it back out to the original. Still that way, so far so good.

Mrbill426

@70vert , being curious, what #LEDs fit the dome light and the dash light bar?

Quote from: 70vert on August 14, 2023, 01:14:34 PM
I swapped all my interior and exterior to LED from Super Bright. Not done the headlights yet but want to. I also bought a flasher from them but interestingly it worked without it, and when I did install it the turn signals would not flash so I swapped it back out to the original. Still that way, so far so good.

70vert

Haha, mine is a Vert so no dome. I'll have to check what the other numbers were but their site should show everything you need.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

MoparCarGuy

This chart will assist you with converting to LED from incandescent bulbs.

Mrbill426

@70vert oh, yeah, duh, "vert" should have been my first clue  :looney:
Thanks

Quote from: 70vert on August 14, 2023, 01:46:36 PM
Haha, mine is a Vert so no dome. I'll have to check what the other numbers were but their site should show everything you need.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Mrbill426

@MoparCarGuy that should help a lot, thanks!
:bigthumb:

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on August 14, 2023, 04:32:00 PM
This chart will assist you with converting to LED from incandescent bulbs.

72and86

The pic is mostly unreadable (too small). Can you send that to my email illstudio@snet.net
thx

72and86

Jay Bee

anlauto

I think you'll have grounding issues with some of the LED bulbs... :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70vert

The flasher is under the dash right by the steering column. I did not have any grounding issues (I think) but can see how that is possible since many of them don't have positive+negative feeds.

Here is the link for the LED bulbs I used, you can change the year if yours is not a '70.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/?find=1970-dodge-challenger-6823393

Deezel

Lonnie
1973 'cuda

Rumple

Here's the spreadsheet I put together. I bought from superbright. They do have a vehicle bulb finder (https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle) on their website which helped and I cross refenced that with the chart from the classic industries catalog. The green dash illumination bulbs, front parking, side markers, taillights, and reverse bulbs all swapped in without issue. Flashers I got from classic industries. I did have to use the polarity gadget with the turn signal flasher. Haven't replaced the hazard flasher yet.

My trunk light was added later and it was from another mopar (m-body maybe). In my case this trunk light used the same bulb as the map light. You may want to double check what you have in this case so you don't order the wrong bulb. All the exterior bulbs fit fine in my 1970 Gran Coupe