Main Menu

Extra wire in harness?

Started by Mrbill426, June 08, 2020, 10:01:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

Yeah just have to make some adjustments; I can use the connectors out of the old harness and Y splice them in within the loom.  I am going to start calling this car the "Missing Link" with it's transitional properties  :haha:

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on June 09, 2020, 11:53:24 AM
My 72 318 Ralley came with factory electronic ignition and the 5-prong ECU (and 4-prong ballast resistor).

Also, the side light wiring and turn signal wiring all changed in 72 ... 70/71 was different with the wiring ends... I know... I've swapped this out years ago.

Mrbill426

Gotcha.. thanks!
I just want to be sure it fires the first time up; don't want to be crank crank cranking on a fresh engine without spark.

Quote from: Burdar on June 09, 2020, 11:32:37 AM
The 4 pin ECU is a direct replacement for the 5 pin.  You can still use your 4 prong ballast so it looks original.

I think 318 cars in 72 still used points.  I'm pretty sure all 340s had electronic ignition starting in 71.

Burdar

Quotealso, the side light wiring and turn signal wiring all changed in 72

The side marker lights did change in 72.  They were standardized so the same part could be used on lots of vehicles.  However the fender mounted turn signal lights weren't standardized until 73.  73 uses a visible screw on top face of the light.  It screws right down into the fender for attachment.  72 fender mounted turn signals still attached with a stud/nut from the bottom of the fender.  They were smooth on top with no visible screw.

QuoteMy 72 318 Ralley came with factory electronic ignition and the 5-prong ECU (and 4-prong ballast resistor).

Any idea when your car was built?  The factory literature indicates that only 340s got it in 72.  It could have been a mid year change.  The first link shows that the 340 got electronic ignition.  The second link states that ALL engines in 73 receive it.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1972/72_Challenger0005.jpg

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1973/73_Challenger0003.jpg

Mrbill426

Yes best I can tell so far the side marker light wiring in this front lighting harness matches the old one, it's just missing the fender signal wire connectors.  And yes my signal lights use the stud and nut from below to mount them.

Quote from: Burdar on June 09, 2020, 01:40:17 PM
Quotealso, the side light wiring and turn signal wiring all changed in 72

The side marker lights did change in 72.  They were standardized so the same part could be used on lots of vehicles.  However the fender mounted turn signal lights weren't standardized until 73.  73 uses a visible screw on top face of the light.  It screws right down into the fender for attachment.  72 fender mounted turn signals still attached with a stud/nut from the bottom of the fender.  They were smooth on top with no visible screw.

QuoteMy 72 318 Ralley came with factory electronic ignition and the 5-prong ECU (and 4-prong ballast resistor).

Any idea when your car was built?  The factory literature indicates that only 340s got it in 72.  It could have been a mid year change.  The first link shows that the 340 got electronic ignition.  The second link states that ALL engines in 73 receive it.

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1972/72_Challenger0005.jpg

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1973/73_Challenger0003.jpg

Chryco Psycho

the wiring will work with 5 pin ECUs as long as you have the dual ballast hooked up , any car with a 4 pin ECU the dual ballast is redundant

Mrbill426

Oh yes it has always had a dual ballast.  What it "had" goes back on.
Thanks  :bigthumb:

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 10, 2020, 07:24:08 AM
the wiring will work with 5 pin ECUs as long as you have the dual ballast hooked up , any car with a 4 pin ECU the dual ballast is redundant