Main Menu

Firewall wire harness plug will not pull out

Started by IRON MAN, May 03, 2021, 10:50:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

IRON MAN

Help. Tried pulling the wire harness plug out and it won't budge. How is it removed?

Mrbill426

The firewall connector is removed from the inside but unplug the engine side leads first.

72RoadRunnerGTX

Pinch together the outer release tabs prior to pulling.

IRON MAN

Having problem. I First pinched together the outer release tabs (see photo) prior to pulling, the firewall connector plug will not come out. Is there a retainer holding it other than the two ear tabs?

72RoadRunnerGTX

Nope, no other retaining, just the two latches on the ends. Push in a bit then pinch, pull out. Work it around a bit. 

JS29

A fried connector could be holding it together, could even have melted plastic.  :alan2cents: 

IRON MAN

I get it. Stubborn these connectors are. As it turns out, I needed to pull out the connector to the immediate left. I got it out and then pushed it back in. I was looking for corrosion and there didn't seem to be any. Still can't pull the connector on the right out I drew orange arrows to. I am chasing down why the Challenger sometimes will not start. I was told by a Challenger owner at a car show yesterday his car has the same problem and if he wiggles the connector at the fire wall it will start. He said, in a bind you could mount a a two wire starter button and jump start the car by running the wires to the relay on the driver fender.  See photo. He called this a relay. Is that the same thing as a solenoid or would it be a solenoid switch?

Anyway, I'm thinking if it fails to start again, maybe it is due to a faulty ignition switch or Neutral safety switch wire.  Thanks for your help.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72RoadRunnerGTX

It is the starter relay. Yes, there are charging system output wires in the bulkhead connector that have long been problematic. The 12ga black Alternator wire connection in the indicated engine harness has likely overheated and melted the plastic together. May have to force it apart, and then by-pass the Packard connectors altogether.
Check ignition switch Molex connector as well for burned connections, another common weakness

70rag383

Quote from: 72RoadRunnerGTX on May 03, 2021, 02:19:28 PM
It is the starter relay. Yes, there are charging system output wires in the bulkhead connector that have long been problematic. The 12ga black Alternator wire connection in the indicated engine harness has likely overheated and melted the plastic together. May have to force it apart, and then by-pass the Packard connectors altogether.
Check ignition switch Molex connector as well for burned connections, another common weakness

It can get burnt like this...this bulkhead connector had 5,000 miles on it. I had trouble detaching the connector too but just pinch the two ends together and like Alan says wiggle,wiggle, wiggle.  It will come out. I ended up running the the alt to ammeter wire directly through the bulkhead.

dodj

@IRON MAN
Sometimes the plastic tabs bend too much and are unable to release the connector. As said earlier, push it in a bit first to remove tension from the retaining tabs, then squeeze, then wiggle. If the tabs still won't clear the recess, you will need to grip closer to the base of the connector or use a large flat blade screwdriver to depress the tabs.
FYI
The yellow wire that turns on the starter solenoid is the yellow wire at the top of the middle connector.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill