Main Menu

Tach Wire Through Firewall

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, May 04, 2023, 02:00:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Is this red arrow where the grey tach wire passes through on a 71? Didn't see it on the body hole schematics or in searches.

I was going to do the gauge conversion to rallye gauges based on Roadman's instructions but he has it going though an unused spot on the bulkhead connector. I have AC and it doesn't appear I have an unused spot.

Just want to be cautious before drilling holes.

MoparCarGuy

The tachometer GRAY with BLACK or RED tracer wire goes through the bulkhead connector at location 20. It may change to Gray with no tracer or still have a BLACK or RED tracer as it makes it way to the tachometer stud. The DARK BLUE wire is the ground wire for the tachometer.

FWIW, a vast amount of info on body and firewall holes is in this thread. https://forum.e-bodies.org/reference-material/18/e-body-hole-locations-firewall-door-interior-ect/303/
I did not see that hole labeled except on a Cuda firewall. It was the Cuda Road Lamp power wire with grommet.

MoparCarGuy

This 1970 Challenger wiring diagram is very useful as it is color-coded. You can see the gray wire from the coil to bulkhead #20 and on to the tachometer.
FYI - That 18DBL (DARK BLUE) wire provides ground for a lot of other accessories including the tachometer.

70 Challenger Lover

In looking over my harness again, I realized that I used hole #20 to run a wire to the electric choke. Guess I can undo that.

I dug through some reference pics from my 70 Challenger and found something in that same general area. The car was completely original when I got it. It's a grey wire with a heavy rubber grommet fused to the wire similar to the license plate light wire.

MoparCarGuy

That appears to be the Reverse Light wiring for a 4-speed car. It goes to the dash reverse light between the ashtray and the glovebox.

70 Challenger Lover

Okay, that makes sense. It is a four speed car but still apart so I had forgotten. Thanks!