Main Menu

FIXED: LED Turn signals, flashers and wipers not working properly

Started by Odin, December 13, 2019, 08:23:49 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Odin

FIXED:
Any ideas why my signals and flashers don't function properly? And why my wipers are wonky?

I'm restoring the car. I replaced all wiring harnesses with M&H. I've replaced all bulbs with LEDs except the headlights. I replaced the two-prong flasher relay and the two-prong signal relay each with a new LED relay. All lights (LEDs) light up when the switch is turned on, however the turn signals don't flash at all and the flashers only work on the passenger side.

Today I also noticed the 3-speed wiper switch works opposite as I think it should. The wipers are off when the switch is turned all the way to the right. It's on as I turn the switch left, but it won't park the wiper arms.  Someone else installed the wiring. I gave them an2-speed wiper harness not realizing I have a 3-speed wiper motor. They made modifications and connected the harness anyway. There are two gray wires on the wiper harness not connected to anything.

I am horrible at wiring so any ideas or advice are welcome.

Cuda Cody

Odin

Quote from: Cuda Cody on December 13, 2019, 09:34:53 PM
Bad ground?  Has the car been repainted recently?

Yes it was repainted over the summer.  It was a body shop employee who installed all new M&H wiring harnesses throughout the car.

dodj

You probably need to reverse the polarity of the signal flasher.
If you check the driver's side tail sockets and front valence light socket with a meter you will be able to prove out whether it is a poor ground (most likely).  or a wiring issue.

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Odin

Quote from: dodj on December 14, 2019, 02:05:14 PM
If you check the driver's side tail sockets and front valence light socket with a meter you will be able to prove out whether it is a poor ground (most likely).  or a wiring issue.

I'll check, but the wiring is high quality and basically plug n play. How do I try reversing the flasher relay polarity since they only plug in one way?

Cuda Cody

M&H is the best wiring (IMO) so you are starting off with a good clean base of wires.  That's good.  Did all the lights work with the new wiring before switching to LEDs? 

Odin

Quote from: Cuda Cody on December 14, 2019, 10:06:36 PM
M&H is the best wiring (IMO) so you are starting off with a good clean base of wires.  That's good.  Did all the lights work with the new wiring before switching to LEDs?

The LEDs are the first thing used in the new wiring as well as the relays. I have the old square signal relay and round 552 flasher relay. I may put them in to see if there is a difference. Maybe I'll try the heavy duty relays too. I hear those work well with LEDs

tman

I used 2 LED flashers for my Led bulbs.  YOu have to reverse the flasher that is behind the ashtray.  One way of doing it is remove the wires to the terminal and reverse them.  Or, make jumper wires with spade connectors (male on one end/female on the other).  I used a jumper on mine and LEDs work great.  LEDs will not work with heavy duty.  Those require more amps or LOAD for those flashers to work.  LED bulbs are very low amperage.

dodj

Quote from: Odin on December 14, 2019, 09:14:32 PM
Quote from: dodj on December 14, 2019, 02:05:14 PM

How do I try reversing the flasher relay polarity since they only plug in one way?
Remove the wire connectors from the plastic plug and swap the positions. Or as tman says, make a couple jumpers

When I say wiring issue, there are lots of things when it comes to proving out a new harness. Sometimes a connector is not seated properly, or a wire gets nicked when installing and grounds, or the human factor where you use the wrong colour wire for something. It's not very common to install a new wiring harness on anything and everything just works great without a bit of troubleshooting.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

bc3j

I used a neutral polarity LED flasher with its own ground wire. I just plugged it in and grounded it to the ash tray frame.

Brads70

Quote from: bc3j on December 15, 2019, 07:30:51 AM
I used a neutral polarity LED flasher with its own ground wire. I just plugged it in and grounded it to the ash tray frame.

:iagree:

https://digi-tails.com/electronic-led-flasher

Odin

I used those type (I think they are neutral polarity but maybe I'm wrong) for both hazard and turn signal relays. I grounded both to the dash frame. I'll try reversing polarity with jumpers first just to test the theory. In looking online I've now seen little spacers that reverse the polarity

bc3j

I was surprised to discover my stock hazard flasher still worked with the LEDs, but at a slower rate. I left it alone. So just the turn signal flasher was changed.

Odin

Quote from: Brads70 on December 15, 2019, 10:56:51 AM

:iagree:

https://digi-tails.com/electronic-led-flasher

That looks exactly like the relays I used for both hazards and signals

Huskidrive

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!