Main Menu

Fuel Gauge

Started by Huskidrive, February 03, 2020, 06:01:03 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Huskidrive

I'm having an issue with my fuel gauge. When I turn the key on, it pins past full. I disconnected the sending unit wire and it still pins past full. The temp, and oil pressure gauges work fine. I have a new up graded voltage limiter. and the wiring harness to the rear of the car is a new year one repro. The wires on the gauge are connected properly. The gauge has never been removed from the cluster. Every other electrical component is working properly. Any thoughts??????

When Twin Golden Huskies Pass You....It's Huskidrive!

dodj

Wire from the gauge to the sending unit is shorted to ground somewhere.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JS29

Quote from: dodj on February 03, 2020, 06:27:26 AM
Wire from the gauge to the sending unit is shorted to ground somewhere.
:iagree:

Huskidrive

Thanks! That shouldn't be to difficult to work with.

Huskidrive

I finally had a chance to check the fuel gauge issue today. I unplugged the rear harness and the gauge went to empty. I plugged it back in and the gauge worked normally. It went to half a tank. I went to the gas station and filled it up. It took 8 gallons and the gauge showed full.I drove around for about 50 miles and the gauge showed a little over 3/4 of a tank. I like when things work out!

dodj

Glad it's working, but I would look around at the wiring that you moved when you unplugged/plugged back in the harness and look for a skinned wire or similar.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Huskidrive

I did take a look around. The rear harness is new. I check around the dash harness in that area and it all looked good.......fingers crossed!

Brads70

Maybe the ground strap/clip thingy?  Bad ground? :notsure:

Huskidrive

No, the ground strap is new as well as the sending unit and tank and straps. The issue was the blue wire from the gauge to the rear harness somehow shorted to ground showing a pinned on full gauge. I disconnected the harness and reattached it and it works now......I didn't see any worn or pinched wires...I'm not going to look for trouble that's not there! LOL