Main Menu

Glass fuse converter

Started by parbs, August 31, 2022, 08:12:24 AM

Previous topic Next topic

parbs

While at the Woodward street cruise two weeks ago, a guy was passing these out. It thought it was a cool idea. I thought i would share it. If not allowed, please delete.

tparker

Love the ingenuity. Is there any benefit to switching to these? I just bought some glass fuses last week and they still seem to be easy to find.

My biggest issue with fuses was an inline fuse wire broke and I was worried I would have to cut it out and switch it with a modern one. However I was able to find a different connector that I could splice in the wire with the blunt terminal and not have to replace the fuse holder.

Katfish

I agree, neat concept, but when was the last time you replaced a fuse?
I've had my car over 20yrs, and my number is 0

anlauto

I was looking for something like this on Amazon, and couldn't find anything.... :dunno: does that mean they're no good ? :))
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chargerdon

At some point in my 74 chally life the fuse panel was exposed to high humidity and had horrible rust on it.   

It got to the point that i couldn't get the glass fuses to make good contact.   And once those terminals rust, trying to sand them clean while laying on your gut is no easy task.   

I gave up and bought a new blade fuse block that was divided into to halves for the keyed and non keyed sides and transferred the wires one at a time to the new block.   Each half holds 6 fuses so plenty of them and their easy to buy in bulk.  No, it doesn't fit into where the old fuse block was hosed on the firewall, instead i simply use a cable tie to hold it on top of the steering column.   Not very original, but, hey, its where no one looks at a car show so...i didn't care.   

Dakota

Quote from: anlauto on January 29, 2023, 07:15:18 AM
I was looking for something like this on Amazon, and couldn't find anything.... :dunno: does that mean they're no good ? :))

Alan, I'm not sure if you tried their website, but here's the direct link for purchase if you're interested:

https://www.thingsnotable.com/shop

Not cheap.

anlauto

Quote from: Dakota on January 29, 2023, 08:59:04 AM
Quote from: anlauto on January 29, 2023, 07:15:18 AM

Alan, I'm not sure if you tried their website, but here's the direct link for our chase if you're interested:

https://www.thingsnotable.com/shop

Not cheap.

Thanks for the link....I was hoping to maybe find something similar on Amazon...I'm a fan  :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

dodj

Interesting, but the glass fuse works just fine.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

torredcuda

A fuse is a fuse, why complicate things?
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

parbs

I see they now have a wire attachment option. I ordered for my secondary cooling fan.

anlauto

BIGSHCLUNK

Cool set up for sure. Nice w that extra wire tang too. But other than swapping out the entire fuse box (corrosion) I dont think I've ever replaced a fuse in NIKKI 

anlauto

Now that you guys put it that way....you're right, it doesn't make much sense...but the blade type fuse is a lot easier to find at stores if you're in a pinch  :alan2cents:

Burdar

...and the blade fuses are a lot easier to read the amp rating.  It's written right on it in big print.  As my eyes get older, I'm finding it a little more difficult to read embossed writing on small fuses and such.

anlauto

Quote from: Burdar on January 31, 2023, 09:12:56 AM
...and the blade fuses are a lot easier to read the amp rating.  It's written right on it in big print.  As my eyes get older, I'm finding it a little more difficult to read embossed writing on small fuses and such.

1000% agree  :rubeyes: