Main Menu

Headlight relay waste of money?

Started by nsmall, February 20, 2017, 10:15:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

thanks @chal340 that is very helpful. 

Funny though how we interpret things...I have a 74 cuda so I said two  light ebody, I always envision challengers and 71 cudas a 4 light e bodies.

I think I can make what you posted work thought!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

303 Mopar

@chal340 - that is a great schematic, thanks for sharing!  Wiring is my nemesis but I may give this a shot.

Marc70challenger

Quote from: Roadman on February 21, 2017, 02:16:09 PM
   Relays are very easy to add for any accessory, be it lights, fans, A/C compressors, etc. I use them alot. If you have basic wiring skills there is no need to buy aftermarket harnesses.   

:iagree:

I was like omg, I'll never get all this complicated wiring stuff. Then spent some time reading and watching YouTube videos.  (Shook cob webs out from old EE courses lol ) Completely wired up a car. And ran almost everything through relays.   Not that tough once the light bulb goes off.   :haha:

headejm

@Cuda Cody How about adding @chal340 excellent schematic to our reference library? Or at least make this a sticky thread.  :handshake:

Cuda Cody

Good idea @headejm    :yes:  I added @chal340 to the pinned thread about wiring diagrams.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/colored-wiring-diagrams-70-cudachallenger/1349/

Quote from: headejm on April 15, 2017, 05:30:18 PM
@Cuda Cody How about adding @chal340 excellent schematic to our reference library? Or at least make this a sticky thread.  :handshake:

chal340

Thank you @headejm for the recommendation and @Cuda Cody for adding this shematic to the library. :thankyou:
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.

HP_Cuda

What we could do here is post up a Short how-to video on setting up your own relay setups for the most common items.

That way if you want to do something different you will have the knowledge to do so.

:handshake:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

cataclysm80

Headlights, Road Lamps, Power Windows, Horn, Time Delay, pretty much anything with a relay, let's figure out how to replace it with a readily available modern relay.

shawge

In addition to the headlights, I also added relays to the heater/ac blower motor (Classic Auto) so that it gets full 12V.  It's like a wind tunnel now on high :)
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Valkman

If you're using halogen bulbs they run much hotter than the old sealed beams so your bulb connectors could burn up,  and you can get a cheap complete relay harness on ebay for $10 with ceramic connectors. It's easy to install and it's pretty much a no brainer to me!

cataclysm80

Has anyone had halogen bulbs melt the connectors on a new M&H harness?

I wonder if I could just install those ceramic ends onto the factory harness.
Is it a bad idea to run Halogen without a relay?

HP_Cuda

The problem with adding specific Halogens(H4) on ebodies is that you have to do some cutting to make them fit.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Valkman

Quote from: cataclysm80 on April 21, 2017, 06:47:11 AM
Has anyone had halogen bulbs melt the connectors on a new M&H harness?

I wonder if I could just install those ceramic ends onto the factory harness.
Is it a bad idea to run Halogen without a relay?

You could just pop out the prongs out of the old connector and then swap them out, but you better off using a harness like the one above. It's pretty much a  plug & play, your lights shine better, and there's no risk to cooking the wiring elsewhere in your car. :)