Main Menu

Headlight Relay Kit Installation

Started by 73_Cuda_4_Me, December 11, 2017, 11:13:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

73_Cuda_4_Me

Got one of Roadman's 2-headlight relay kits on Black Friday Special... finally got some time to look over where would be best place to install, and document the installation...

I mounted the relay kit on the core support directly in front of the battery tray... excuse the decrepit sheet metal, haven't committed to replacing the core support sheet metal, and the panel I put it on was previous owner's 'patch'...

Wired ground in first after screwing relays onto panel.

Removed taping on existing headlamp wiring running along inner fender ahead of battery.

Connected Red to Firewall Red, using crimp connector, soldered, and heat shrunk.

Repeat for Violet to Firewall Violet/White wire...

Repeat for Red w/Blk tape to Headlamp Red (HI)...

Repeat for Violet w/Blk tape to Headlamp Violet/White...

Tie-wrapped wiring to original wire harness...

Garage is 28 degrees, so will continue with taping up harness and testing soon.. Had to get some coffee in me!
;)
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

Cuda Cody

303 Mopar

Thank you for posting and I am follow as I am interested in this but hate wiring.   :pixiepop: :popcorn: :pixiepop:

73_Cuda_4_Me

Frazz... On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd rate this a '2' as far as difficulty goes... The two hardest steps are deciding where to mount relays for your situation (then drilling correct holes for the screws you use), and the other is carefully removing the harness tape without damaging the wiring (careful and expeditious use of utility knife worked for me - accent on the 'careful'!)... I removed about 6 inches of tape to allow some freedom for separation of the harness wires...

Once mounted I connected the ground wire...

The two wires needed from harness were easy to identify, and I started with Red (HI Beam)... cut wire at mid-point of untaped area, and using GOOD WIRE STRIPPING/CRIMPING TOOL, strip about 3/16th's insulation off each end of the cut red wire.

Slide a 1" piece of heat shrink to each of the Red Relay Kit wires (1 Red, and 1 Red w/Blk tape). Strip 3/16th's off both relay Red wires.

Crimp one end of butt-splice on to the firewall Red wire, then insert Relay Red in other side of butt-splice and crimp. Give slight 'tug' test to make sure good solid connection (NOTE: I soldered mine after crimping butt-splice for added security and reliability, but not technically required).

Slide heat shrink pre-installed before crimping over the splice joint, and heat with lighter or hair dryer to shrink fit over connection.

Crimp butt-splice on Headlight side Red wire, then insert Relay Red w/Blk tape into other end, and crimp. Give tug test, then slide heat shrink pre-installed over connection and shrink into place.

You are now at the half-way point of the installation! Have a beer, take a break, then another beer... Celebrate the success so far!

Start on the Violet harness wire (Low Beam)... I cut mine about 2 inches away from where I cut the Red wire, so that the splices were offset a little when taping back up... Cut the harness Violet wire, strip about 3/16th's off both wire ends just cut, and crimp butt-splice on firewall Violet... slip 1" heat shrink over the Relay Violet, strip 3/16th's off the relay Violet, and crimp to firewall Violet. Tug test it, then slide heat shrink up over connector and shrink into place.

Install 1" heat shrink over Relay Violet w/Blk tape wire, strip 3/16th's off this. Crimp butt-splice onto headlight Violet, insert Relay Violet w/Blk tape wire into connector, and crimp. Tug test connection, then slide heat shrink up over connector and shrink into place.

One more wire to go! Have a beer to celebrate progress!

Determine where you are going to be connecting the White Relay Battery Feed wire... because of my mounting position on core support, I had to add about 8 inches of wire to reach my starter relay. If needed, there are plenty of butt-splice connectors and heat shrink to add, but if you LET ROADMAN KNOW APPROXIMATE LENGTH NEEDED, HE WILL MAKE IT TO SPEC!!!...

Slide heat shrink over White wire, strip 3/16th's, and crimp ring terminal onto wire. Tug test, and slide heat shrink up to just cover the barrel of the ring terminal, then shrink into place. Connect to battery bolt or starter relay battery terminal.

Install battery and connect cables. Test headlights - both LO beam and HI beam for proper operation... If they work properly, it's Brewsky time for a job well done to this point!

Use included tie-wraps to bundle relay wiring to harness wiring as neatly as possible, and tighten tie-wraps, then trim tie-wrap strap as close to the base as possible - the little bit that is left can really scratch/cut you if caught just right, so the closer the better!

Use electrical tape to re-wrap the wire harness and bundled relay wiring as you see fit... like taping a bat or hockey stick, wrapping at an angle... no need to be perfect, either...

Done! Time to celebrate!
:cheers:
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

303 Mopar

Quote from: 73_Cuda_4_Me on December 11, 2017, 03:59:10 PM
Frazz...
You are now at the half-way point of the installation! Have a beer, take a break, then another beer... Celebrate the success so far!

One more wire to go! Have a beer to celebrate progress!

If they work properly, it's Brewsky time for a job well done to this point!

Done! Time to celebrate!
:cheers:

This sounds like my kinda project!   :drinkingbud: