Main Menu

Headlight relay waste of money?

Started by nsmall, February 20, 2017, 10:15:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Planning to soon convert my ammeter guage to a volt gauge.  On that note, is a headlight relay worth the money and time as  I would mainly be interested in doing it to limit the load on the bulkhead.  My lights work fine.

Assuming the volt conversion will also help reduce the load on the bulkhead?  My ammeter gauge is still hooked up.

People seem to like this set up....

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=104967.0

Thanks

Neil

cataclysm80

I think a headlight relay is a worthy upgrade.

GoodysGotaCuda

Headlight relay(s) will certainly reduce the load going through the bulkhead. The pre-made harnesses are nice, but there is some labor being included if you are budget-minded. It shouldn't be more than $20-$30 to DIY a comparable harness, assuming you have some basic wire/connectors around that you could scavenge.  :alan2cents:

I plan on testing out some H4 LED bulbs. With all new wiring, no bulkhead and LEDs, I do not have a need for headlight relays.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

jt4406

:bigthumb:
Head light relays a definitely worth doing (in the dark, headlights on, run a short piece of wire from positive post of your batt to hot head light connector to SEE difference).  If you're a good salvage yard scrounger, can solder a little, and have very basic auto electrical knowledge, it can be done for very little.
jt

:wrenching:
"Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160........"

soundcontrol

I got way brighter lights when I installed relay's on my last Challenger. And that probably means that my bulkhead connector/headlight switch was not in the greatest shape. It's a very good upgrade. The horns also sounds louder with a relay.
This guy is selling a relay kit: (he is not on this forum yet though).
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=104967.100

Bullitt-

IF your looking to upgrade to Halogen there's a reasonably priced wiring/relay kit available
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/grm-01-134/overview/
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
All newer cars now use relays for the headlight circuit & it just makes sense to use the power directly from the battery instead of going through multiple connections & switches

70chall440

I will pile on, definitely worth the cost/effort. Headlights and wiring much happier.
Mopar or no car!!!

71GranCoupe

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on February 21, 2017, 05:51:27 AM
All newer cars now use relays for the headlight circuit & it just makes sense to use the power directly from the battery instead of going through multiple connections & switches

Car manufacturers do upgrades that make it a worthy expense. On newer vehicles, they have added many relays to keep the cars from burning to the ground. Definitely a good investment.  :cheers:

Roadman

Relays are very easy to add for any accessory, be it lights, fans, A/C compressors, etc. I use them alot. If you have basic wiring skills there is no need to buy aftermarket harnesses.     

70chall440

Quote from: roadman on February 21, 2017, 02:16:09 PM
   Relays are very easy to add for any accessory, be it lights, fans, A/C compressors, etc. I use them alot. If you have basic wiring skills there is no need to buy aftermarket harnesses.   

Mopar or no car!!!

lulurocks(Ken)

Quote from: 70chall440 on February 21, 2017, 11:36:48 AM
I will pile on, definitely worth the cost/effort. Headlights and wiring much happier.
Ill continue the pile :

Me and a friend tested the  voltage drop  from going thru  the maze that mother mopar made of the headlight circuit and found it to be.   On average. 4 -5 volts  quite significant on a 13.5 volt scale

We tested 2 A bodies and 3 e bodies.

One. Ebody was retested after  relay kit,  voltage drop 1 volt.

Less contacts less contact resistance  , brighter safer headlights

Amp gauge removal , headlight relay  are the largest and easyest reduction of load on your harness ..

Ken

HP_Cuda

Relays are the wave of the future!!!

Somewhat kidding since they have been around for quite awhile but yeah.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cudajason

so does anyone have a schematic of how to wire in relays for a two light ebody?.

I would like to do this but would rather not by a kit.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

chal340

@Cudajason, I finished my front light harness with relays last week.
I put one relay for low beam and one double relay for the high beam. (you can put 2, 1 for outside high beam and 1 for inside )
You can see schematic of the harness and of the relay.
70 Dodge Challenger 340 A66.