Main Menu

HALO round tail light upgrade

Started by b5cuda, February 12, 2018, 04:31:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Hello everyone, I've learned a lot from you all on this site so wanted to share something I've been experimenting with this winter - an upgrade for cuda round tail lights.  Pictures don't really do it justice, but give the idea.  The first picture shows driver's side with original light, passenger side is LED HALO.  In person, you see a very bright and distinct HALO ring.  I installed one LED "HALO" ring behind each of the four lens - they seem a lot brighter, plus this illuminates all four lamps, not just the outer two.  Able to maintain brake lights and back-up lights, though I don't think I will use the red running light.  It's kind of dull by comparison.  The LED units are 018-LED-R from Oracle lighting. 

Cuda Cody

Pretty slick.  I like it!  Nice job.  :twothumbsup:

Cudajason

nice...more pics on the steps?

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

71-440

I like it!  :bigthumb:

Halos are big on the modern muscle cars. I'm all for customizing.

Joe

b5cuda

Sorry I didn't think to take more pic's but it's pretty straightforward.  Disassemble housings (hopefully without breaking lens!), clean, attach the rings.  I used epoxy glue to mount the ring to the outer (red only) tail lights, but on the back-up light housings I removed the reflector and used the adhesive strip it came with to mount the LED ring to the outside of the reflector.  Added a few drops of glue to the LED ring for extra insurance.  Glued the reflector back onto the inside of the red lens.  Drilled holes near bottom of each housing for the LED wires so they don't intrude on the factory tail light bulb hole.  Used silicone caulk to seal the new LED wiring hole and to seal the lens edges onto the housing.  My car isn't done so this is just bench testing, but looks promising.   Let me know if you have questions, thanks!     

cuda hunter

That's awesome.  :bradsthumb:
I have a question.  Once you are happy with a set, how much for a set to be sent to me?    :please::handshake: :takemymoney:
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

303 Mopar

b5cuda

Thanks for all the kind words!  Light technology is really changing and we have a lot more options now.  This upgrade is very simple, just takes a little patience, and you can have a good improvement both in terms of safety and appearance.  Now I just need to get the rest of the car built!

CudaMoparRay

Good upgrade as LED replacements are great for safety also.

mopar thunder

Sweet.... looks awesome. That a nice upgrade.

moparcar

Looks like a great set up! Thanks for sharing.

Chryco Psycho