Main Menu

Headlamp switch issue?

Started by b5cuda, October 04, 2023, 08:55:29 AM

Previous topic Next topic

b5cuda

Hey everyone, I'm working on getting my car road ready and have an issue with turning on lights. Nothing happens when I turn switch to parking lamp position. When I slide the switch up slowly, halfway between parking light and headlamp position I hear a relay click and I get dash, park, and tail lamps on. Slide the switch all the way to headlamp 'on' position and everything goes off. I have tried three used switches, all give same result. Do I have three bad switches, or something else? FWIW, I have Rob's (crackedback) harness installed. Appreciate any tips.   

Bullitt-

My guess is there is another issue, perhaps a failure of the floor mounted dimmer switch or wiring connector. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Jay Bee

Since crackedback's harness is plug 'n play, did you try to unplug 'n play just to see?

b5cuda

Aha, when I applied a grounded testlight to the lead to headlamps, they lit up! So, I have a grounding issue on the headlamps to address. Still no dash lights on "headlamps on" but at least I now have headlights. One step closer. Thanks guys!

Dakota

For a 70 Challenger, if i remember correctly the headlight harness ground goes to driver side support for the radiator (engine side) near the battery.  I can't speak to how it was done on other years. 

b5cuda

Thanks, yes that's where I found a loose ground and now headlamps work. Still some issues, I don't get "park" lights (dash, front park lights, tail lights) until the switch is 3/4 up (between park and headlight position, and when I put the switch all the way up I get headlamps but lose dash, park, and tail lights. I want to think it's the headlamp switch, but I've tried three different (OEM) switches and each does the exact same thing. Anyone else had same situation?

dylo

The headlight switch shares a black wire from your dimmer knob. I would try and bypass that dimmer and see if it works.

dodj

While not factory, I would recommend running a ground wire from the switch mounting plate to frame. Ensures a good ground.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

b5cuda

Thank you guys, I appreciate the tips!