Main Menu

Ignition switch issue?

Started by Bruno, October 17, 2019, 08:59:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bruno

I'm pretty sure my ignition switch is messed up but I thought I would get advice before taking it out. Occasionally, the ignition switch will act dead on the start up but the accessory and "on" will work. When I turn the key over, the voltage gauge moves like it should and the accessories (heater/defrost fan) work fine but when I turn it all the way over, I've got nothing from the starter. No click, nothing. Then out of nowhere, it'll work just fine.

The ignition switch is a little sloppy and not nearly as crisp as it should be. Should I just change the switch and go from there??  Thanks for any help.

Chryco Psycho

:wrenching:
do you have voltmeter ?
You need to test the wiring at the base of the column , the brown wire should have power in the start position , if it does then it is more likely to be the relay on the inner fender , this relay is more likely to be the problem anyway . if there is no power to the brown wire then the switch in the column is bad which is highly unlikely

Bruno

Thanks!  I'm gonna give that a try. You may have just saved me a huge headache.

Chryco Psycho

you can also test at the yellow wire at the relay , if it is powered with the key turned to start but the relay is not clicking closed the relay is the problem it could also be the starter solinoid if the relay is working
I hope I saved you tearing the column down

Cuda Cody

chargerdon

Also, it could be the Neutral safety switch...  When it doesn't crank in Park, try neutral... and then back to Park.    If that works then its the switch in the transmission...or could be the adjustment of the Shift lever is quite there.   

RUNCHARGER

Most likely guess would be the NSS (or the shifter adjustment) alright.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

I had the same problem on my RT and it plagued me for months. Some days it would start fine, other times I'd try and it wouldn't crank. Everything would work in the on position but no action when I tried to crank it. I checked everything and one day when it wasn't working, I swapped in a spare solenoid I had lying around. Problem fixed and has never returned. I always figured a bad solenoid would just stop working for good but mine was an intermittent issue. Very frustrating when your problem is intermittent.

Bruno

I'll start with testing the wires at the relay first since that's easiest. I was also thinking neutral safety switch and I have tried shifting it around in the gears and starting it in neutral and park but it didn't change anything. The car is fairly new to me (purchased in April) and the previous owner put a new starter in it and had receipts to prove it. Well, a mechanic did anyway.  I know new parts are not always fool proof but it's unlikely (right?).

I'll work on this and do an update once I figure it out. I'm wondering if i should just buy a new starter relay and swap it out since they are cheap and super easy to change.

Chryco Psycho

Run some tests first
what type of starter was installed , factory or mini ?
if the relay has power but is not clicking change it out

Bruno

It is not a mini, just a factory replacement. I don't hear any clicking whatsoever when I turn the key over. Just the sound of my dash clock working. I know the Autozone by my house has some in stock for like $25 so maybe I'll just throw a new one in.

Chryco Psycho

I bought 4 rebuilt starters from the same place , every one failed the rebuilder had no clue & was doing them wrong , the store finally blamed me & refused to replace another starter so I had nothing to lose & disassembled it , I took it over to the store in pieces & showed them why all had failed , it is not like it was 40 years ago when they were building 1000s of them .

Bruno

You make a good point. I'll start with the relay then test the ignition wires since I'll have to borrow my brothers multimeter. Come to think of it, why don't I have one of those?  Huh...  Anyway, if those don't work out I'll test the starter then NSS.

Chryco Psycho

I doubt it is the NSS if moving the shifter is making no difference but it is also a cheap part , but a lot of people have problems with the repro switches too

73_Cuda_4_Me

When I had my issues starting intermittently, it was the starter relay case not grounding through where the bracket was swaged onto the relay housing. I bought a relay with external ground wire as an added connection.
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B