Main Menu

Headlight Relay

Started by Caparco, May 18, 2021, 11:49:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Caparco

My last try at this seemed to be close! But I mistakenly put the high beam relay on the purple wire not the red one, and I had them working fine but just opposite, the high beams came on when I selected them to be off and vice versa

I fix it up now to be exactly like the image below but now I have just headlights and absolutely no lights for high beams when selected, can anybody see what I'm doing wrong?
    with No lights and no power at all for high beams do I have the power (30) for the high beam relay hooked up properly, leaching off of the other relay (87b)?
It's Amazing what we can accomplish~

With just a little bit of hard work.

And a whole LOT of complaining!!... lol

Dakota

Maybe it's how the diagram you posted is drawn, but on a 4 bulb system, the lights on the outside edges as you face the front of the car are the low beams and the high beams are towards the middle. The drawing you posted appears to have those bulb positions reversed.   The low beam bulbs need 3 wires to operate correctly:  ground, low beam power and high beam power.   The high beam bulbs only need 2 wires:  high beam power and ground.

Some other thoughts....

Battery power is supposed to be supplied to terminal 30 on both relays.  If you have a jumper between the two relays on the this terminal, that should work fine.

The connection between the relay and the light bulbs should be coming from terminal 87.  If you're using 5 pin relays, 87a (the one in the middle) is the "normally closed" pin and should not be used when wiring the headlights.

Terminal 86 should be the ground on the relays.   I ran mine to a bolt on the core support near where the relay box is mounted.

If you haven't done so already, I'd suggest applying battery voltage (using a test lead or something like a PowerProbe) to terminal 85 on each relay with the other wires in place.   On most relays I'm familiar with, you should hear a distinct "click" when battery voltage is applied to terminal 85 which indicates that the relay is being engaged.

I'll have to look at a factory wiring diagram before commenting on the high beam floor switch.

Hope some of this helps.

Caparco

Thanks so much,
I understand the positioning of the lights is a little different on my Challenger , but the wiring
Is correct and contrives on how you say it should be wired.
  This other diagram is a little 'more' confusing to me. This one shows the 87 going out to the headlights for low beam as you said, but the high beam relay ( turned on its side) the 87 is the power going to the fusable link of the low beam relay. And wired completely separate from the purple out to the lights,
  When you say negative out to lights you mean the negative side of the switch connection?? Because isn't 85 supposed to be the negative to ground terminal?
  And this diagram, 'like the other' uses a 5 prong for the high beam and a four prong for the low, but you say it's left out.
  Where does your second relay get power from? Do you have two separate fusible links going to the battery source, one 30 amp and 15?

72RoadRunnerGTX

If running an ammeter, no loads should be added directly to the battery, all loads on the alternator side of the ammeter. The relay primaries will work either way but with Bosch type relays, automotive convention is 85 is ground and 86 is positive.

Caparco

They are calling this a very easy upgrade,
I don't know why I struggle with it, some diagrams are showing use a 5-pin relay and a 4-pin relay and then some people are saying you should never use the five pin just two fours.
I've checked and rechecked everything right now I have the two four pin relay setup
30 is obviously going to positive 85 is obviously going to negative 86 on one relay is going to the high beam (red) and 86 on the other relay going to low beam (violet)
  87 on one relay is going to bulkhead on one relay it's low beam (violet) and on the other it's 87 to the high beam (red) into the bulkhead
  So why is it I have just low beams working soon as I click on the floor switch to turn high beams on indicate a light comes on all lights go off including the low beams
  Also noticed pulsing with the lights, even the dash lights
  Can anybody see my mistake??

72RoadRunnerGTX

You have the 86 and 87 reversed, 86 is the positive primary side of the relay(input from bulkhead). 87 is the secondary output side of the relay, will go to the load(headlamps). See diagram above.

There are several configurations of Bosch style automotive relays. For this purpose, 5-pin versions can work, just disregard the center terminal (87a or 87b).

Caparco

Damn it!

Like Chris Farley used to say
"God! I'm such an idiot!!"

LOL thanks so muc