Main Menu

Map light switch

Started by elan71, May 13, 2021, 06:29:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

elan71

Hi
I have repaired my map light switch on my 71 'Cuda. But now I'm not sure is it correct or not. Is it correct that one of the pin is switched to ground?

Daniel
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

anlauto

I think it's power in---power out....and it grounds through the dash frame....I could be wrong though :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FE5CUDA

Quote from: anlauto on May 13, 2021, 07:23:02 AM
I think it's power in---power out....and it grounds through the dash frame....I could be wrong though :alan2cents:

Another opinion (guess)?  The switch is a two way, not a one way on/off switch. With the knob in one position it will manually turn the light on through the two terminal on the circuit board. In the off position, enables A01 power delay relay feeds 12 volts into the switch with the other side of the internal power bar is grounded only in that off position for automatic remote control.

anlauto

YES....You're correct ...I made a guess and shared MY opinion....Thank you for posting your correct details....
:drinkingbud: That's what forums are all about  :grouphug: 
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

FE5CUDA

Quote from: anlauto on May 13, 2021, 09:19:32 AM
YES....You're correct ...I made a guess and shared MY opinion....Thank you for posting your correct details....

Forums are for... what?  Total guesses that aren't remotely close to reality?  That is counter productive and helps no one especially the person asking the question that needs quality help and not a complete uneducated guess.

anlauto

Quote from: FE5CUDA on May 13, 2021, 09:52:22 AM
Quote from: anlauto on May 13, 2021, 09:19:32 AM

Forums are for... what?  Total guesses that aren't remotely close to reality?  That is counter productive and helps no one especially the person asking the question that needs quality help and not a complete uneducated guess.

I'm not sure I' understand :huh: The original poster was asking if one of the terminals on the switch hooks to ground. It does not, as in my first reply, the switch grounds through the dash frame, the two terminals are for power in---power out ...

I'm not sure why you say that my opinion is "not remotely close to reality"  ???

And again....forums are developed for conversation between people who share a common passion for the same thing...We're all on board to help one another :grouphug:

elan71

Hmm, yes, I'm confused.
I know, the switch connect the two pins together. Non of the pins have contact to ground. In the other position, one of the pin is conectd to the ground.
I just want to avoid a short cut.
I see some additional functions than only open or close with this switch.... :(

Daniel
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

JS29

:iagree:   people come to these forum's when they don't know the answer! Chiming in with misinformation is counter productive. When i post to someone's question, It's from my experience or knowledge, NOT a guess. It just causes confusion and serves no one.  :headbang: In my opinion, if in dough don't post, wait until someone who knows posts and then more than the original poster has an answer.  :alan2cents:

shawge

1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

anlauto

Quote from: JS29 on May 13, 2021, 10:35:08 AM
:iagree:   people come to these forum's when they don't know the answer! Chiming in with misinformation is counter productive. When i post to someone's question, It's from my experience or knowledge, NOT a guess. It just causes confusion and serves no one.  :headbang: In my opinion, if in dough don't post, wait until someone who knows posts and then more than the original poster has an answer.  :alan2cents:

Again, tell me which part of my answer was wrong ? Does the switch not get it's ground from the dash frame ? Do the two terminals not provide power in and power out ?

Mrbill426

Made sense to me; and you were correct, hot in and hot out with internal ground.  That's how my map light switch works.

Quote from: anlauto on May 13, 2021, 10:37:23 AM
Quote from: JS29 on May 13, 2021, 10:35:08 AM

Again, tell me which part of my answer was wrong ? Does the switch not get it's ground from the dash frame ? Do the two terminals not provide power in and power out ?

JS29

It's a two way switch, not a one way.

anlauto

Quote from: JS29 on May 13, 2021, 10:42:43 AM
It's a two way switch, not a one way.

Yes, you are correct. Where does the ground come from ? Do you connect of of the terminals to ground as the original poster was asking ? :dunno:

elan71

Thank you shawge for this picture. I think I got it now. I switch the map light to ground to turn it on. In the other position I connec the map light to the internal light which works with the door switch. A 3 way switch. Because of this, an LED is not working. Has to be a bidirection LED.
Thank you for your help!! :bradsthumb:
Greeings fom Switzerland
Daniel
71 'Cuda 340 Automatic

anlauto

A picture is worth a 1000 words  :twothumbsup:

I love this site  :grouphug: