Main Menu

Need a alternator what can I use?

Started by gaddied, January 02, 2019, 11:24:04 AM

Previous topic Next topic

gaddied

My alternator is making noises . It's a 37 amp can't find a 37 amp any where.
So what one will work ??

Burdar

Probably just needs a bearing.  You can buy the rear bearing at a local parts store.

JS29

Might as well do brush's along with it. I think they make a kit, or used to.

gaddied

would like to just find a rebuilt one , don't have the tools and don't trust myself to repair.

Cuda Cody

Most parts stores can get you an alternator.  You can call Dave at roseville and he'll be able to find you the exact right one.  Or you can order one from a place like RockAuto http://www.rockauto.com/?a=ebodies and use E-Bodies discount code 5% Discount Coupon: 95AAABE05601BE Expires: February 7, 2019

gaddied

So can I use a 50 amp instead of a 37 amp ? No one has a 37 amp alternator , can't get them any more.

Rich G.

Yes you can. You're car probably has no power accessories that's why it so low.

Burdar

If the alternator you have is the original one, I wouldn't turn it in as a core.  I'd keep it and eat the core charge.   :alan2cents:

JS29

You could send it out to an auto electric shop and get it rebuilt!!!   :alan2cents:

Burdar

If you can find one these days...that's what I would do.  You don't really need it restored, you just need it rebuilt.

Skid Row

I have a 37 amp. alt. that I had a shop rebuild. I need more amperage. I will sell for $45 (my cost) + shipping.

pbajeff

Putting a 50 on wont cause any issue and the car wont know the difference. The regulator will control the output.
Only difference between the 50 and 37 is if you had a larger electric load on the car so when the regulator would ask for more amps to keep it powered up it would have more in reserve.
Same principal as driving a 400 horse car down the street at 30 mph.
You are only using a small percent of the horsepower but will have plenty in reserve if the carb opened up and asked for it.   

Put the 50 on, keep the 37, and got get you nice stereo with an amp.... :ohyeah:

gaddied

Thanks everyone ! I am going with the 50 amp.