Main Menu

**NEW ALTERNATOR PUTTING OUT 12v...WTF?**

Started by temsinc, July 25, 2019, 01:29:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

TelisSE440

There is a possibility that there is a lot of resistance in the current arriving at the blue wire and going into the VR. Measure the current at the blue wire getting into the VR. If it's lower than the battery current, say 2 volts lower, then the alternator will work extra hard, thus reaching the 16 volt mark. If yes, then connect directly a wire from the battery, to the blue wire and watch if it changes to normal...

temsinc

Darcy is happy  :D. Turns out the ground from my MSD Ignition was the culprit...I had the MSD ground and the engine ground sharing the same bolt/ground to the VR. Once I removed a small amount of paint to bare metal on the firewall for the MSD ground...the alt put out a constant 14.6v at low and fast idle.

Secondly, y'all know about hind site being 20/20, my tach always jumped at idle and the car has never ran perfectly...I immediately noticed a difference with the engine idle and performance. Just need to tweak the timing and dial in the carb, but that is a lesson learned. I.e. how important a good ground is and in my case, to ensure the ignition box has its own ground.

THANK Y'ALL WHO CHIMED IN AND HELPED ME OUT. A ROUND FOR EVERYONE...NASTROVIA!!!  :cheers:

Darcy  :canada:

Chryco Psycho

6pack

Great!  You know how it goes; fix one good problem and in a few days something new occurs the nature of the beast and why we love our Mopars.