Main Menu

No Break lights

Started by Caparco, November 22, 2020, 01:37:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Caparco

Replaced turn signal cam (not whole switch) cleaned up the switch and it's connections while in the collum.
  This didn't fix my issue, no break lights at all none with flashers on , none with hazards on, none anytime, also left Drivers side blinker is out too. But only the rear, the front work fine.
Replaced turn signal cam
Replaced hazard flasher unit
Checked pink wire on stop light switch at pedal. Power is there.
New bulbs.. this rather recent, all exterior lights worked fine for years when I put in all new front and back wire harnesses.
Should I have just changed the whole TSS while in there or could this be a flasher unit problem.
It's Amazing what we can accomplish~

With just a little bit of hard work.

And a whole LOT of complaining!!... lol

CudaHead

I had a similar problem on my Challenger brake lights.
One of the wires going to the turn signal switch had melted the connection on the turn signal switch. I had to look very close to see it but the wire had lifted from the block.
Replaced the turn signal switch and it works fine now.

RUNCHARGER

Have you used a test light to see where the electricity is falling out?
Sheldon

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on November 22, 2020, 07:45:53 AM
Have you used a test light to see where the electricity is falling out?

Body grounding issues at the rear lights is also a likely culprit.

Cuda Cody

Has the car recently been painted?  Grounds are often an issue with new painted cars.

Caparco

No.. not at all, but it is a super massive rust bucket!.. I will check that out,
And no haven't checked , traced power to find where it stops will do both of those next nice day.. but we are limited here in RI, may just get put away for the winter, soon as I get that oil changed.. lot of progress this year, new engine success and all.. one of its better summers...lol
  So I'm putting on parking lights to facsimilate brake lights to people behind me take it for a quick spin to the store.. and then what do I see in the parking lot!!... I say "I bet he doesn't have and electrical issues!!.. dang!!" I haven't looked that good in 45 years!!".. LOL
:perfect10:

Caparco

Okay I think I messed up, I seen in a different post that Chryco said to test the brown and green wires at the bottom of the column period what was that for turn signals? Anyways I followed the pink line with power key off and all power goes all the way back everywhere to the trunk and then disappears at the socket the first socket before a branch is off to the next one no power there check the lines they seem good they rather new. Maybe it's the socket?

Caparco

Threw a new flasher in for the one I missed, at ashtray, and I actually lost the rear passenger signal!.. lol
  I traced the brown and green out of the collum, both seem to be getting power , but the brown way more, in the 10v's green is faint at like .04 - .08
Working with weak battery btw ( see.my new post draining battery)
But does this mean that yes it made it by the TSS ok and my problem lies in the rear harness?
Keep in mind (good bulbs) but my break lights won't come on at all.. not for any blinker or even hazards!

Jim AAR

The first thing on any older car with rust or been repainted it's usually the ground for tail lights.

I would put a clamp or get someone to press your brake pedal and then run a jumper wire from a KNOWN good ground in your trunk to the metal light socket and if the brake light comes on, its a grounding issue, clean the socket or replace it if required and clean all metal to metal surfaces especially where the tail light bucket meets the tail light panel.

Chryco Psycho

First the turn signals & brake lights are the same circuit which is interupted in the turn signal switch , should be light green to the front & dark to the rear same with brown , so with the brake pedal pushed you should get power to 1 green & 1 brown wire , you can test this in the light socket also at the rear , if both have power then it has to be a socket , bulb or ground issue .

Caparco

Okay dark green is getting power. Doc Brown is getting nothing. So the problem must lie in there TSS
Thanks 😀👍

Chryco Psycho