Main Menu

Before I break something else ....

Started by A.Gramz, June 17, 2020, 04:55:21 PM

Previous topic Next topic

A.Gramz

So parts arrived.  Going to reassemble the 8 3/4 489 tomorrow after work.    I made the mistake of not marking the bearing adjustments.  🤦🏼‍♂️       

Anyone have any tips or trick for building these?

The bearing is pressed on the pinon shaft -  how do you measure for shimming? Or is all the adjustment done through the ring gear side to side adjustments?

Also I have two different size yokes.  I'm Assuming the smaller one is for the 904/small block

Cheers

1 Wild R/T

If the bearing is already pressed on the pinion you have a problem... Thats where you add a shim to set pinion depth..

You should probably familiarize yourself with the shop manual before attempting to build an axle... They do require more attention to certain details than most other parts of the car..

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
1 of the few thing I do not tackle by myself , I don't have a press & you need to press the brg on to get the measurement & press it off to add shims & press it back on without damaging it , setting up the correct gear pattern / mesh can be a challenge also .

Mopar5

Its a pretty involved procedure . That being said you can do it yourself. For starters you are going to need a inch pound torque wrench to measure preload, A press and a good bearing seperator for the pinion bearing and a dummy bearing is handy which you can make from your old pinion bearing , A dial indicator to measure your backlash and ring gear run out. If you dont have these tools available then it will be almost impossible. Making a stand for it out of 2 inch sqaure tube is easy so you can work on it from top and bottom by flipping it over. I will try to post a pic.

Mopar5

Here's a simple fixture you can build

Mopar5

You can locate your mounting tabs by simply using a pumpkin gasket as your template on a flat surface . Then layout the square tubing around the gasket and tack weld it up. I cant imagine trying to work on a diff without it being held in a fixture.