Main Menu

Reverse lights not working

Started by fireguyfire, June 10, 2019, 09:28:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

One last electrical question after my first shake down run today of my 73 challenger after a front end, transmission and rear end rebuild.
I noticed after testing a bunch of things that I don't have any reverse lights; my car has a newly rebuilt A833 in it and the builder installed a new reverse switch and I replaced the reverse switch harness which goes to the firewall connector.
The reverse lights worked before even though it had the wrong switch in the tranny (which was leaking like crazy any) and a badly spliced harness.

The only other factor I have is that I removed the original reverse light that goes on the dash beside the glovebox because it was rough and the wiring had been spliced and was brittle. My new dash reverse light hasn't arrived yet so there is nothing connected Ed to the reverse light harness where the dash light wire connects in with the plastic connectors.
Is there a chance the light in the dash is a ground for the reverse light harness, and this is why I don't have reverse lights?
Can anyone suggest a good way to troubleshoot the reverse light system?

Thanks as always for the suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Wild R/T

First thing I'd try is a jumper around the switch...  If that doesn't work verify power...

fireguyfire

So doing some poking around on the internet it sounds like if I disconnect the switch at the tranny and turn the key on, one of the 2 wires should be hot; is that correct?
I'll start there and verify I have power to the switch.

RUNCHARGER

That's correct. That's the right place to start. If you have power there you can jump it there as well and they should come on.
Sheldon

fireguyfire

So my dash reverse light arrived today, so I installed it and trouble shot my reverse lights.
I had power to the switch and if I jumped power across the end of the plug the reverse and dash lights went on.
Then I replugged the switch back in and if I wiggled the connection the reverse lights would go on and off.
After a minor modification I was able to get the new harness plug to properly seat onto the new switch tines and now have perfectly working reverse lights.

I guess it goes to show even though parts are brand new, sometimes you have to do a bit of "massaging" to get them to work properly!

RUNCHARGER

Yes: These new parts are not made to the same standard as original Chrysler parts so you're not always sure what you're going to get with them.
Sheldon