Main Menu

Road lamp question among others

Started by usraptor, April 17, 2023, 04:04:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

First of all, 1970 'Cuda with factory rallye dash and road lamps and original wiring harness which is in exceptionally good condition and hasn't given me any problems, at least up to now that is.  ;) I've tried following the attached wiring diagrams in the service manual, and as far as I can tell everything is wired correctly.

First question, when the road lamps are ON, are the front and rear running/parking lamps supposed to come on also? (Light switch is off)  If not any idea why mine are?  In trying to follow the wiring diagram in the service manual, it appears that the green bayonet wire from the road lamp switch  plugs into one of the two three prong accessory flat plugs, which mine is. 

Second question, does it matter which of the two three prong accessory plugs it is plugged into?  FYI, I move it from one accessory plug to the other and it didn't make any difference in the operation of the road lamps or the running lights coming on.  When I unplugged it altogether the road lamps didn't come on.

Last summer I installed a Mopar/Summit Racing tach on the steering column as I didn't trust the Rallye dash tach to be accurate.  (Found out it actually is pretty much accurate).  When I installed the new tach I hooked up the power wire to one of the two three prong accessory plugs, different one than the road lamps.  Third question, when I start the engine not only does the new tach's light come on (again light switch off) but I've noticed that my rallye dash lights also come on.  Any idea why that is?  To tell the truth I'm not sure if they always have turned on when I started the engine as they are very dim and I seldom drive the car at night with the lights on; or if they just started turning on after I installed the new tach?? :dunno: :thinking:  I do plan on upgrading the dash lights to LEDs in the near future.

Last question, on the first attached diagram can someone please explain to me what the two icons/figures/etc. circled in red represents?  I see this same icon listed numerous times throughout the various wiring diagrams and I'm not sure if it represents a plug or something else altogether?  As a side note, the wiring diagram for the road ramps is not very clear as if you follow the lines from the firewall grommet, the wire goes right past the road lamp switch and down to the fuse block???  As I've commented several times before when it comes to electrical and wiring I'm definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer and seem to know just enough to get myself in trouble.  You guys have always come to my rescue with my previous electrical issues so I'm hoping you can guild me in the right direction once more.   :twothumbsup:

Jay Bee

First Question: Only the road lamps should come on when you flick the switch, no other lights. As of now I have no idea why your other lights come on.

Second Question: My first picture shows which three prong accessory plug you're suppose to be plugged into.

Last Question: the icons in the circle are the plastic plug connectors. See my second picture.

usraptor

JayBee, thank you very much.  It's greatly appreciated.   :worship: :twothumbsup: