Main Menu

Road Lamp Question

Started by 70_440-6Cuda, September 02, 2022, 09:34:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70_440-6Cuda

So I did my cursory search here an on Google and of course still have questions.  Working with a '70 BS23 V code, Rallye dash, build date June 12, 1970, have broadcast sheet, do not have fender tag.

good thread here for more info: https://forum.e-bodies.org/vin-fender-tag-build-sheet-and-date-codes/13/l34-question/16278/

From what I have read, road lamps were standard equipment on all 1970 model Cuda's, but also some cars did not have the road lamp call out on the fender tag and did not get road lamps.

2 questions: if it was a standard feature is it listed on the broadcast sheet?  I assume the car should have road lamps, but are there any physical signs that I can search for that would confirm?  There is a switch where I believe the road lamp switch would be, but previous owner turned it into a kill switch and I do  not have the road lamps.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

70/6chall

I have a pic of where the road lamp switch goes for the standard instrumentation. Where it would be located for the rallye dash that I don't have. Maybe this will help.  Thanks,   Al

70_440-6Cuda

The pic I posted shows the location for rallye dash (event though it is a standard dash car.  Credit @anlauto for the pic in another thread located here:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/correct-road-lamp-switch-location/16208/msg214077#msg214077
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Mr Cuda

I was not aware of the road lamp switch being in different positions for rallye, vs standard.
The switch  mounting position thru the lower dash rail would be the same for both.
You have to be careful using any 71 cuda reference points as many  did not  come with fogs, but got added , by someone not knowing.

6bblgt

FOG lights were STANDARD on all 1970 'cudas (BS)
the switch is in different positions STANDARD gauge cluster VS A62 "rallye" gauges

the L34 appeared on 'cuda fender tags "ACTUALLY BUILT" starting around Monday May 18th - it was discussed in another thread
around the same time, it appeared on the broadcast sheet under "AUX DRIV LAMP L36" with the single digit "4"

fc7cuda

If I understand 1 of your questions correctly, you're trying to determine if there's evidence that your car may have been built with road lamps previously?  Although the previous owner installed a kill switch where the road lamp switch would be, he may not have removed the road lamp relay. (if so equiped)  It's a 3 prong relay for 1970 and Google search for a pic so you know what to look for.  It's on the dash underside between the ash tray and right side of gauge mount.

70_440-6Cuda

@fc7cuda yes that was my question.

@6bblgt your reply was my understanding from the previous threads, thank you.  Also, you just helped me understand how to read the broadcast sheet - I just noticed the "letters" on each line...J= Miscellaneous Items, L = Lights and "something" as the rats ate that part of my sheet - which is why I did not have it come up when I did the decode... boy do I feel like a big dummy!   :idea:

MoparCarGuy

As @6bblgt said, your Scheduled Production Date (SPD) will determine whether your original broadcast sheet had the L34 code on the sheet. The SPD also determines whether your fender tag has the L34 stamped on it. All 1970 Cudas (BS) received the road lamps since it was standard for that model. Up until May of 1970, L34 was not available on Barracudas (BH, BP) so the fender tag and broadcast sheet did not need L34 coded on Row 8.
Later in the model year, many other items became available on the Barracudas (BH, BP) as extra cost options. Therefore, the assembly line needed to know what to add. See Plymouth Barracuda Bulletin No. FB-DD, dated March 2, 1970 below with pricing and Product Information Bulletin No. 12, dated April 3, 1970.
Once available for all Barracuda/Cuda, approximately May 1, 1970, L34 began being stamped on the fender tag and on the broadcast sheet. @6bblgt has extensive details on when cars were actually in process in comparison to their SPD so there is a window of time when these assembly line details can be seen to occur.

To recap,
Early-1970 Cuda: All BS got L34 Road Lamps but no L34 coded on broadcast or fender tag. Barracuda (BH/BP) could not order L34 Road Lamps yet.
Mid-May 1970 Barracuda/Cuda: All BS got L34 Road Lamps and BH/BP could have L34 as an extra cost option. All cars with standard or extra-cost L34 had broadcast sheets and fender tags coded for L34.

FYI - Also around May 1970, Cudas (BS) stopped receiving the cowl blackout below the windshield. This feature was on not 1971 Cudas (BS) either.