Main Menu

Starter relay and engine harness questions

Started by Mpdlawdog, May 19, 2018, 10:59:09 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mpdlawdog

Ok so I'm wiring up my car....I kept all the old wiring and came to the starter relay.  Year one says the send on the right one...the car is a stick. My old one has 4 terminals. The new one has 3!  Also on the engine harness....what is the gray wire with the male connector on it?  The long black wire with a female connector (oil pressure)?? And finally.....the black plug right my where it connects to the fire wall....thanks guys!!!  It's officially been 5 years since I took it apart!!!

anlauto

The starter rely with three connections is for an older car 68-69 without the clutch safety switch....it will work, you just don't plug in the green wire...

The black wire with female connector by the bulkhead connector goes to the reverse light harness
The grey wire with the bare uncovered female connector goes to the oil pressure sender
The black wire with the 90* boot goes to the brake pressure switch on the proportioning valve
The double blue wire, depending on where it is could go to the alternator or be a feed for a choke or idol stop solenoid
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mpdlawdog

Thanks!!!  So if I use what I have basically I would not hook up the neutral safety switch on the clutch pedal.... in theory it would start without the clutch engaged or would it start at all because it's not grounding the relay?  Ie is the starter relay already grounded?

Rich G.

It might start. I know with the 4wire relay you would have to ground that 4th terminal if you didn't have a clutch switch. I'd get the right relay if that's what it came with.

anlauto

It'll start in any gear....with that relay....be careful
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

If you have the clutch switch in the car use a 4 pin relay
you should be able to buy it at any parts store , they are common

Mpdlawdog

thanks for all the help...I was actually going to by pass it anyway...the switch on my clutch pedal doesn't look too hot!