Main Menu

Starter Relay Wiring

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, October 18, 2021, 12:33:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

I was going to swap out my starter relay and noticed the new packaging advised having to ground out the tab where the brown wire normally goes. As I recall, the brown wire is the auto trans safety switch so the car can't be started in gear. Anyone else run into this on a new relay and what did you do?

Cudajason

I thought the brown wire was the ground...that's the point as you said of the NSS.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

Yes, your brown wire provides the ground :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Got it. The whole "new design" and notice to ground the terminal threw me off. There's nothing new about the design and the instructions to ground out that terminal are redundant if you simply plug it in using the factory wiring.

dodj

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on October 18, 2021, 03:49:59 PM
Got it. The whole "new design" and notice to ground the terminal threw me off. There's nothing new about the design and the instructions to ground out that terminal are redundant if you simply plug it in using the factory wiring.
You got it.
They probably added that note about ground because of people replacing their solenoid when they actually had an NSS problem. Then complained to the company that the new solenoid is no good.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill