Main Menu

Steering Column lock plate trouble

Started by JunkYardFind, April 27, 2021, 08:58:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JunkYardFind

Got my ignition switch put in and wired and ran into trouble with the column lock plate :/

During reassembly I make sure the lock pin is engaged with one of the slots on the plate, when I attempt to align the 3 screws on cover, it forces the plate to UN-align. What am i missing here? I got everything assembled once and did not realize the lock plate was not working till I tried to re-attach the steering wheel. Cannot tighten the wheel if the column does not lock.

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

anlauto

Did you hook the spring back up that triggers the locking finger ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mrbill426

@JunkYardFind.com  at about 7:30 minutes into this video...

https://youtu.be/49L2sIR9OYc

Quote from: anlauto on April 28, 2021, 04:57:26 AM
Did you hook the spring back up that triggers the locking finger ?

JunkYardFind

The spring may be the problem. I was upside down and sideways under the dash finishing the ignition wiring most of yesterday when I attempted the column re-install. Today I will get a fresh look at it.... working upside down is not as easy as it used to be  :crying:

JunkYardFind

Well that took all of 10 min to fix!
It turns out I just pushed it too far yesterday working under the dash. As soon as I looked at it today one of the 3 screws holding in the Ignition switch was really loose! I missed it due to fatigue. It was causing the locking plate to miss-align. :pullinghair:

Thanks for help here! I will post the Ignition switch wiring connector pics on this thread... https://forum.e-bodies.org/electrical-and-audio/11/fried-connector-identification/21076/msg260032#msg260032

It shows the difference in the Molex connectors vs the new PowerPole connectors I just installed.