Main Menu

Does anyone not use the 70 steering column lock?

Started by Wayne, November 13, 2019, 07:37:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Wayne

Just installed the engine and 4 speed back into my car and realized the steering column lock linkage and rods are missing.  No surprise.  I see Brewers has the parts I need for about $250.  Then thought....is there a negative not to use it?   Would you suggest  to just go ahead and buy the parts and install them?  Seems like more linkage to work around and fuss with.  I am going to be running TTi headers and not sure if there is any clearance issues. TTi doesn't say there are any. 

I appreciate any thoughts and input on this.
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A

JS29

It's gone on my barracuda, just make sure it is in the right position or you won't get the key out. I THINK a lot of people ditched them because they installed headers.  It was there as an anti theft device, the car had to be in revers to lock the steering wheel. with out it the key could be turned and lock the steering wheel while the car is moving.    :alan2cents:

70 Challenger Lover

I installed them and it was a cool for about an hour. It's a real PITA at times. Nothing ever gets stuck but there are times I want to keep the car in neutral but not leave the key in. I can see why they only used it for one year.

Rich G.

I think it is there just to piss you off when you're standing outside the car and reach in to take your keys out and realize it's not in reverse and now you got to get back in and put it in reverse to get the keys out!

Spikedog08

Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on November 13, 2019, 08:32:34 AM
I can see why they only used it for one year.

Hmmm I thought it was on all years?  My 73 has it and my 70 has it.  We are talking about the lever on the column that uses this below?
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

I install it in the cars I restore, but it won't hurt anything leaving it off  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

MIne was missing when I bought the car in 80 , It was only there to stop you from locking the steering if you had to switch off the engine while driving for some reason . I have never been motivated to look for the parts to re-install it all you need to know is if the upper column housing rotates while driving it will need to be rotated back to remove the key , it was a dumb idea in 70 & only lasted 1 year , the column lever is not so bad almost every cars has something like this to prevent  locking the steering while driving .

headejm

Quote from: Spikedog08 on November 13, 2019, 10:48:03 AM
Quote from: 70 Challenger Lover on November 13, 2019, 08:32:34 AM
I can see why they only used it for one year.

Hmmm I thought it was on all years?  My 73 has it and my 70 has it.  We are talking about the lever on the column that uses this below?

It is my understanding that the lockout lever on the column did not go into production until 1971 MY. My 1970 Challenger does not have it and I've never seen one on a 1970 MY Challenger.  :alan2cents:

Wayne

Thanks for all the replies  :bigthumb:

That makes it pretty easy to decide to not buy the kit and just leave it off. One less thing I need to install lol
1970 Cuda 383 4spd red on red
Backyard Hotrods @ Youtube, Facebook & Instagram
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2bd5dyuOKCJT-kWhdEGm3A