Main Menu

Tapping fuse for stereo power

Started by GrandpaKevin, July 08, 2018, 09:26:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

I want to install an aftermarket stereo in the wife's Challenger.
I have very little experience with electrical and wiring stuff.

This will be a very simple system with new JVC head unit with just two 6x9 speakers in the rear factory location.

No amps or other extra speaks.

I want to avoid running a hot wire directly from the battery to a stereo so I would like to tap the power for the stereo head unit off the fuse box.

I am currently using the one aux. power supply on the fuse box for the electric temp gauge and I believe the other one is constant power which I would rather not use.
Am I missing another aux power supply on the fuse box?

Can I just use one of these glass fuse power taps to power the head unit or is there a better way to tap power off a fuse?

Thanks.

Bullitt-

That will work for switched power.. there are other connetors in the harness including the original radio connectir
But you will also want a constant power connection as all newer radios need that to preserve memory settings. Same thing on a constantly powered fuse or connector will suffice
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

GrandpaKevin

Thanks guys.

I did some searching and I think I found the original stereo power plug.

It has power when key is in run and acc.

I would think a male terminal spade connector should fit into the factory female plug?

1 Wild R/T

GrandpaKevin

Thanks guys.

Stereo installed and sounds great.

303 Mopar

HP_Cuda

This is exactly what I will do when the stereo gets installed - re use the factory plug.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200