Main Menu

Testing rallye gauges

Started by 73chalngr, December 25, 2017, 06:12:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

73chalngr

Hi everyone . I got rallye gauges for Christmas wh en I tested the ammeter it pegged on the c my standard one works correctly. I get .2 volts on tester for standard one and .5 for rallye one does that indicate a bad ammeter ? How do I test the clock ? How do I test the tack?

73chalngr

Thanks for the link but that video only addresses the fuel temp and oil gauges .

dodj

https://www.e-bodies.org/videos/
Above is a little video that Cody put out.

When you say you tested the ammeter and it pegged, you need to make sure you limit the current when testing (you can damage it otherwise). But as far as voltage drop goes, the smaller the number the better. To test the clock, connect 12vdc to the connector and attach the -ve lead to the gauge frame.
I don't know how to test a tach, I just hook it up to a running engine?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

73chalngr

The ammeter has the battery voltae comming in and a shunt reduces the power for the ammeter and other functions the voltage limiter reduces it for the oil water and fuel I am thinking the shunt is bad and ammeter needs replacement but do not want to but a replacement only to have same problem

dodj

Quote from: 73chalngr on December 25, 2017, 09:59:10 AM
The ammeter has the battery voltae comming in and a shunt reduces the power for the ammeter and other functions the voltage limiter reduces it for the oil water and fuel I am thinking the shunt is bad and ammeter needs replacement but do not want to but a replacement only to have same problem
Then you don't have original type ammeter gauge? If you are using a shunt arrangement, the ammeter will still peg if you have applied battery voltage to it. A shunt doesn't limit current, it gives it two paths to follow so less current flows through the ammeter, but you need some sort of load to limit current or it will peg.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Jay Bee

I've got some spare road lamps bulbs and have used them to test various ammeters. If the needle swings to to "D" I'm guessing it's good and would also swing to "C".  Headlamps would work too.

73chalngr

Thanks everyone I talked to Gentry at auto instruments and I think the problem is solved the studs. The wires go on are loose on the ammeter creating poor contact thus incorrect readings. They restore gauges and were willing to help with information not just sell me on their services