Main Menu

turn signal flasher

Started by chargerdon, March 07, 2024, 05:31:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

I want to replace my turn signal flasher with an electronic one i purchased, but cant find it.  Where in the hell is it ?   According to service manual for a 74 Challenger it should be on the ash tray housing.   But...not there. 

I can hear it clicking...but cant locate and is sure don"t want to have to take the entire instrument cluster out to find it ... 

Any advice ? 

Jay Bee

You're right they're suppose to be here. These pics are from my 1970, is it different for '74 ???

chargerdon

found it...it was just laying in the back of the dash just to the right of the ash tray.   But, gosh darn...plugged in this new Electronic flasher and...it did nothing...the turn signals dont function with it plugged in.   Hmmmm   

Katfish

You probably need to swap the +/- on that connector, I did.
They are polarity dependent.

chargerdon

Nope tried that....   

by trial and error, discovered that it is extremely voltage dependant.   I.e with either the original incandescent rear tail light bulb, or the new LED bulbs i bought, that electronic flasher will only flash when the voltage at the flasher is 12.8 or higher !!!   So, with the engine running the flasher would work until i turned on the headlights, then the voltage would drop to around 12.5 and it would flash really slow.   

So, put the original flasher back in and surprise, i don't know why but with the rear taillights bulbs replaced with the lower wattage LED bulbs, they still flash !!   I noticed that might passenger side flashes a little faster than the drivers side...but they do flash fast enough to be safe.   When i first tried the LED bulbs the passenger side would flash slow, and the drivers side only about once every 10 seconds or not at all.   What changed?  I do not know !!

Katfish

What brand flasher, that sounds defective.
I have this

CEC Industries EF32RL Flasher https://a.co/d/cTttCs9