Main Menu

Turn signal issue

Started by jyotkc, February 05, 2021, 08:37:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jyotkc

I'm having the weirdest lighting issue. My left turn signal works just fine. My right turn signal just lights up but doesn't flash. My hazards just flash in the front but not in back. I have all new bulbs. Also when I have my lights on, the front right isn't as bright as the left. Any ideas? I'm thinking it's a ground issue somewhere

Dakota

I don't know enough about the turn signal/flasher circuits to comment intelligently on your issues there.   As for the headlights, do you have the same issue with one being brighter than the other if you turn on the high beams?   Depending on your comfort level around playing with wires, you could also run a temporary ground wire to the dimmer headlight to see if improves things.

If your rear lights work otherwise, it's less likely to be a grounding issue around the rear bulbs.  On my 70 Challenger, the connector for the rear light wiring harness is right next to the parking brake release (under the kick panel cover) if you wanted to do some diagnostic work on your wiring runs.   Not to be insulting, but also make sure the rear bulbs for the red lights are dual filament (2 contact points on the bottom of the bulb).

Depending on the age and condition of your wiring, the bulkhead connector on the firewall is often a problem spot for connections in general. 

Please add a few words about which flavor of E body you have and whether any of the wiring on your ride has been replaced as it may help some of the wizards here guide you.  My experience is only with a 70 Challenger.

Chryco Psycho

I would start with making sure the grounds are good but the rear hazards not working sounds like the turn signal switch contacts . The replaement part is Standard TW7 or JS Restorations can rebuild your factory switch

anlauto

OER now makes a reproduction turn signal switch as well, costs less then the Standard TW7. I just got one the other day, but I haven't installed it yet.

Have you checked or replaced your two flasher units ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Ditto what Chryco Psycho said. Also, I used to sell OER parts, if you need a switch I would get JS to restore your original.
Sheldon

anlauto

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 06, 2021, 07:52:25 AM
Ditto what Chryco Psycho said. Also, I used to sell OER parts, if you need a switch I would get JS to restore your original.

Oh great...is there issues with the OER turn signal switches ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

RSI700VIPER

I've had a similar problem twice before over the years.  Turns out it was the turn signal switch and hardness.  Standard makes a good replacement except the flasher button is thinner than the factory piece.   

jyotkc

I replaced the one round one with 2 leads. I didn't know there was a second, where it that located and what does it look like? Headlights and tail lights work fine, just the right turn signal. It comes on but doesn't flash

anlauto

Quote from: jyotkc on February 06, 2021, 05:08:38 PM
I replaced the one round one with 2 leads. I didn't know there was a second, where it that located and what does it look like? Headlights and tail lights work fine, just the right turn signal. It comes on but doesn't flash

You should have a flasher unit on the side of your brake pedal housing and on the side of the ashtray.

jyotkc

Ok, I replaced the brake pedal one. I didn't know about the ashtray one. I'll go look now. Thanks

MoparLeo

I know its obviuos but just incase someone else didn't know, it is behind the ashtray. Just remove the ashtray by sliding it open and pushing down on the dirty tab sticking down. ( where you would put out your cigarette)
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

jyotkc

Finally had time to spend some time on the car dealing with no electricity for two days and freezing rain and ice this week with historic low temps. So I pulled the ashtray out and found this. Do I have to unscrew this to get behind it.

jyotkc

I unscrewed it but couldn't pull it out. It's getting caught on something on the right.

jyotkc

Was finally able to reach under the dash and feel the second flasher relay. Was able to pull it out and change it and sure enough, problem solved. Thanks for the help!