Main Menu

Where to route engine wires?

Started by rdf, July 27, 2020, 05:55:12 AM

Previous topic Next topic

rdf

I'm looking for a good location to run my engine wires so the bay looks neat and not wires all over the place.  I'm not looking to completely hide the wires (I don't have time for that at the moment) but I'd like to use some loom and secure them someplace safe and out of the way if possible.  For the alternator, coil, water temp unit, and electric fans, I was thinking of running them under the intake and on top of the windage tray.  The pic shows the wires on the outside of the intake but I'm showing the pic so you all have an idea as to what type of intake I have.  Anyone else do that?  Is it safe or will the loom heat up too much there?

I'd love to see what everyone else is doing with their engine wires so if anyone has pics, I'd love to see them 😁
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

Burdar

I'm in the same boat.  I like the look of completely hidden wiring but I already have new harnesses purchased.  Hiding the wiring is very involved and requires a total custom rewire and moving or eliminating the bulkhead connector.  I'm going to make some custom bracket to run the wires along the engine and wrap them with wire loom like is pictured in the link.  Don't use that corrugated tubing.  It looks awful.  The loom pictured in the link is something you'll find on late model car wiring.  It looks a lot cleaner IMO.

https://www.grainger.com/product/2RLL3?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInajClMHt6gIVTvDACh2j-QkwEAYYAiABEgJYzPD_BwE&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMInajClMHt6gIVTvDACh2j-QkwEAYYAiABEgJYzPD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281698275255!!!g!471571925921!

rdf

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

YellowThumper

I would expect that the area under manifold runners would be fine as long as they are wrapped. Note that once you deviate from factory, the pandora box of time effort and $$$ is open.
The loom @Burdar showed looks good. Problem is feeding wiring thru it with connectors attached. I use similar looking that is a split loom that wraps on itself. It comes in many size diameters.
Do not use the standard black electrical tape with adhesive on it. Sticky just turns to goo from heat. There are a few styles out there rubber and silicone that when wrapped will adhere to itself with no melting sticky issue.
Where possible, you can cap the loom off with shrink wrap.
If crimping, good quality connectors are an absolute necessity. For clean look, don't use the red, blue, yellow plastic covered crimp ends. Crimp on end then shrink wrap to finish. Quality crimpers are a must if what you are stepping into will have more than a couple connections.

Singular best tip I can offer is when you splice any wiring, don't splice in same spot as wire next to it. Every splice connection should be about an inch away. This way when the wrap is added there isn't a big lump in one spot.

I always state that wiring is one of those things that when done properly, no one will notice. Done poorly, everyone will notice.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Good luck.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Burdar

I just posted that link to show the style of "braid" that I plan to use.  I didn't realize it wasn't the split style.  It was the first thing that popped up on a Google search.  I would use the split style for ease of installation.  Shrink wrap on the ends will look nice and clean.

dodj

Quote from: YellowThumper on July 27, 2020, 08:07:50 AM
I use similar looking that is a split loom that wraps on itself. It comes in many size diameters.
What is it called and where did you get it?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: dodj on July 27, 2020, 05:07:31 PM
I use similar looking that is a split loom that wraps on itself. It comes in many size diameters.

Split braided sleeving will pop up on ebay, that's where I bought it from. I believe Painless sells it as well [for a premium $].

I also used -adhesive- heat shrink to terminate the ends of the sleeving wherever possible.

All of my wiring runs down and out through the passenger wheel well.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

YellowThumper

Quote from: dodj on July 27, 2020, 05:07:31 PM
I purchased mine locally. But Summit Racing appears to have similar also.

Mike.

Burdar

When you need to cut it to length, do you handle it like braided stainless hose?  Tape off where you want to cut it so it doesn't expand and unravel?  Then maybe use a lighter to melt the ends? 

Also, are you cutting and stopping the insulation at every point where a wire sticks out of the harness?  Or can you open up the braid and slip a wire or two through and keep the insulation in longer runs?

wldgtx

This looks really solid!  Well done...  :bradsthumb:
1968 Hemi GTX, 4 spd, RR1
1970 Challenger RT/SE, FC7 - FC7RTSE
1987 Buick Grand National

rdf

Quote from: Burdar on July 28, 2020, 05:35:32 AM
When you need to cut it to length, do you handle it like braided stainless hose?  Tape off where you want to cut it so it doesn't expand and unravel?  Then maybe use a lighter to melt the ends? 
The stuff that I got is pretty durable but I make sure to use a sharp pair of scissors and it cuts it clean.  They guy I have helping me with all this used electrical tape at the ends which I'm not a big fan of.  In fact, the directions that came with the loom state that you can either use heat shrink or melt the ends as you suggested.

Quote from: Burdar on July 28, 2020, 05:35:32 AM
Also, are you cutting and stopping the insulation at every point where a wire sticks out of the harness?  Or can you open up the braid and slip a wire or two through and keep the insulation in longer runs?
Yes, we are cutting and stopping at every point.  I haven't tried to open the braid to slip the wire through but I have plenty of extra so I'll give that shot to see if it holds up or splits.  I'll post my results when I do it.

YellowThumper

First pic is where shrink wrap was used for end.
You don't have to splice it at every junction where wires come out. Pull them out and then wrap the cover on both sides of wire.
Humorous note. Second pic is 68 Mustang.  Note the Mopar ignition module...

Mike.

Daveh

Shoooter

Claudia

IMO - Wiring is one of the sticking points for me . . . I installed all new factory replacement harnesses in my car but every wiring alteration that I have made has been done with a good, solid crimp and heat shrink tubing (no electrical tape) . . . even if nobody will ever see it!