Main Menu

Wiper linkage hits cowl

Started by usraptor, September 13, 2017, 04:56:08 AM

Previous topic Next topic

usraptor

Not sure if this should be here or in the body shop.  Anyway, I hooked up the windshield wiper linkage to my 3 speed wiper motor on my '70'Cuda today and everything seems to work okay except that the linkage that connects to the motor rubs on the upper cowl.  I've attached a picture with the rub area circled in red.  I've also included a picture of the linkage arm connected to the back of the motor rotating arm.  First of all any idea why my linkage is rubbing and how do I correct it?  Secondly, the attachment to the back of the motor inside the cowl seems pretty straight forward, but please look at the picture and tell me if I have it connected incorrectly.  If so, what do I have incorrect please. As always, thanks for the help.

MoparDave

Looks like it is not in the correct park position. when parked the crank off the motor to the main link should be straight or inline.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

anlauto

Do you have the other end on the pivot correctly ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

Maybe the pivot is installed 180 degrees off?

Shane Kelley

usraptor

To answer your questions.  Shane, the motor is a three speed.  Alan I assume you are referring to the pivot at the wiper end.  As far as I know yes it's on correctly.  The pictures in the service manual are hard to make out. However the arm that goes to the motor is attached on the inside of the wiper pivot (passenger compartment side) and the arm that goes to the passenger side wiper is attached on the outside (engine compartment side) of the wiper pivot.  Burdar, are you referring to the pivot arm on the motor?  Is it possible that the bend as shown in the picture is supposed to face the engine/firewall instead? If memory severs me correctly the pivot arm was already attached to the motor after it was restored.  MoparDave the picture does not show it in the parked position.  I turned the ignition off to get it to stop there so I could take the picture and show where the linkage from the motor rubs the cowl.  It parks correctly when turned off by the wiper switch.  Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Shane Kelley

I'm not much help on this other than these pics I took of my assembly when I removed it all.  Maybe it will help.

anlauto

Shane's pictures are right, so it sound like you have them wrong. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

usraptor

Thanks again guys.  I take it apart and re-do.  The pictures from Shane and Burdar are a great help.