Main Menu

Correct color for 70’ 440 magnum

Started by 70RTSE383, October 23, 2019, 11:10:18 AM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

I am rebuilding a 440 for my 70' Challenger. I bought VHT hemi orange but it comes out the color of a pumpkin I:e orange with a brown tinge. Is this correct? What is a good brand rattle can color that looks correct?
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

750-h2

A while back there was a thread on Moparts discussing this. The concensus was that when it came to rattle cans the "MOPAR" brand hemi orange was the most accurate when compared to OE samples.

erik70rt

Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

6bblgt

Quote from: 750-h2 on October 23, 2019, 12:57:38 PM
A while back there was a thread on Moparts discussing this. The concensus was that when it came to rattle cans the "MOPAR" brand hemi orange was the most accurate when compared to OE samples.

..... but is the MOPAR brand "street HEMI orange" available - I haven't checked in ~6 months, but it was unavailable for the prior 2 years  :dunno:

erik70rt

I saw Mopar engine paint in Summit just a few months ago when I was there.  It listed the color as 'Hemi Orange" on the can.  Didn't specify street or race. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

DeathProofCuda

FWIW, here is a pic of my 70 383 that was painted with the Plastikote Chrysler orange.

In the past, I have also used the Duplicolor Chrysler orange, which they carry at the local auto parts store.  As I recall, the Duplicolor also had that brown tinge, which I didn't like.  I couldn't find the Pastikote locally, so think I ordered it from Amazon.