Main Menu

Need 727 trans pan suggestions

Started by scf100, May 31, 2019, 08:19:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

scf100

Have a 340 in my 1973 Cuda with a 727 trans

Steel pan leaks at corners with the thick ribbed rubber gasket so assuming pan warped.

Have swapped pans with a Chinese black steel pan and it leaked too.

What do you guys recommend as a replacement pan?

This was PO put on is slightly deeper for cooling.
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

1 Wild R/T

I suggest you take a hard look at the dipstick tube, rear band anchor pin & the shift shaft seal.... All three are very common leaks often mistaken for pan gasket leaks....

aussiemark

Totally agree I had a leak and assumed it was the pan, tried different gaskets and sealed it with no gasket just sealant and it still leaked eventually found the shifter/kick down shaft seals were the cause replaced them and no more leak. The best pan would be cast aluminium because the flange won't warp if the bolts are over tightened.

Chryco Psycho

often a tinner gasket or just a bead of silicone or right stuff will seal better if it is acutally the pan leaking

Mrbill426

Having the same issues with the pan on my '64 Imperial.  I replaced the shift shaft seal and even installed a rather pricey Mopar gasket that is metal sandwiched with (I think) silicon; it still leaks.  Weird thing is that  after I make a "fix", clean everything up and drive the car; once parked it can sit in the garage for a week or more without dripping... then all of a sudden it leaks down to at or below the add mark.  :huh:

gzig5

The previous owner thought the pan was leaking, tightened the crap out of it warping it and stripping out three bolt holes.  I heli-coiled the holes and was able to straighten the pan out but still got fluid.  Turned out to be the shifter seal.  I bought the removal/install tool, fixed that and while I was at it, I installed the high capacity Mopar steel pan with the drain.  Sticks down a little more than the stock one but not as much as many of the aluminum ones.  It's tough and cheap.  No more leaks.   Like being able to drain the fluid without taking the pan off.   I can loan the tool if needed.

Chryco Psycho

The converter will slowly drain down raising the fluid level inside the trans as it sits so seals higher up will leak

autoxcuda

Quote from: aussiemark on May 31, 2019, 10:49:03 PM
....... The best pan would be cast aluminium because the flange won't warp if the bolts are over tightened.

Wish someone would make a stock depth aluminum pan.

Lots of different deep cast aluminum pans. And mostly all function the same and you can't see them anyways.

How about bringing something new to the market? ! ?
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

7212Mopar

TCI and B&M both make cast aluminum trans pan that only adds 2 quarts so not that much deeper than stock.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 7212Mopar on June 01, 2019, 07:02:21 PM
TCI and B&M both make cast aluminum trans pan that only adds 2 quarts so not that much deeper than stock.

Like Steve said, stock depth...  2qts adds quite a bit of depth & on a low car it's a problem... The engine oil pan is centered on the front wheels so often it clears obstacles but the trans pan is just as the car settles from the front wheels crossing a speed bump or similar obstacle so extra space is at a premium...

autoxcuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 01, 2019, 07:55:56 PM
Quote from: 7212Mopar on June 01, 2019, 07:02:21 PM

Like Steve said, stock depth...  2qts adds quite a bit of depth & on a low car it's a problem... The engine oil pan is centered on the front wheels so often it clears obstacles but the trans pan is just as the car settles from the front wheels crossing a speed bump or similar obstacle so extra space is at a premium...

Yea. Just simple stock depth that's cast. So you can use the modern plastic gasket on. Two machined rigid surfaces are much more leak resistate.

Most new cars seems to have cast oil pans and vavle covers.

And modern cars are incredibly less likely to leak than the old stuff.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

gzig5

Quote from: autoxcuda on June 01, 2019, 06:39:36 PM
Quote from: aussiemark on May 31, 2019, 10:49:03 PM
....... The best pan would be cast aluminium because the flange won't warp if the bolts are over tightened.

Wish someone would make a stock depth aluminum pan.

Lots of different deep cast aluminum pans. And mostly all function the same and you can't see them anyways.

How about bringing something new to the market? ! ?

As soon as I get a new TIG welder....
I don't think I can do something that thin with the spool gun

Wouldn't be hard to cast either, you just need the volume to pay for the setup.

The other way would be to cut the flange off a stamped stock unit and weld on a thicker laser cut flange.

Or just use good quality gaskets and don't over torque it.